• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crunching from drivers side

arsxj1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a crunching sound coming from he suspension in the drivers side when I turn. It doesnt do it all the time only after I drive it for a while. In the morning it wont do it. Is there something greasable that may be alittle dry?

Noise when turning would usually be a front axle u-joint, but not doing it all the time seems to add doubt to that. The OEM parts are not greasable, but if parts have been replaced earlier, maybe there are some grease fittings.

How about maybee a spring moving around? Is that even possible because thats what it sounds like to me. If I turn the wheel fast it wont do it either. :dunno:

I've had axle joints go bad silently, mostly you feel them when parking. Turn into a space, you feel a gentle tugging side to side. It sounds to me you're hearing a wheel bearing failing. Turning a corner shifts the vehicle's weight, alternately loading and unloading weight on the bearings. How old? How many miles? You're probably due. And, while they're out, do the u-joints while your hands are dirty. There are a few good threads about doing both jobs.Good luck.

Check to see if your LCA bracket is fractured at the axle housing end. Mine was broken and was making a crunching noise when I turned or braked in certain ways.

That's the drag link / pitman arm joint - looks OK to me. The trackbar joint is at the very bottom of that bracket that's bolted to the frame rail on the driver side, right between the coil spring and the anti sway bar link.

Oh sorry :doh:. Thanks for checking it out though. It just seems wierd to me that after sitting over night it wont do it for a while.

It is wierd, because your suspension does not really "warm up". When thinking about what would warm up and expand some, the exhaust and radiator come to mind. Maybe look for signs of the fan hitting the radiator??????? or the exhaust pipe hitting something?????

Back