• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 axle question?

truck7575

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Chrysler 8.25 axle from a 1996 XJ and I am going to order a locker but I don't know how many splines I have on my axle 27 or 29. Is there a way to tell from outside how many I have. i could take it apart I know but I want to figure it out without taking it apart and only have to take it apart once. I believe that the internals are all stock. Please help!

You dont need to pull the shaft,just one of the side gears!

I have a Chrysler 8.25 axle from a 1996 XJ and I am going to order a locker but I don't know how many splines I have on my axle 27 or 29. Is there a way to tell from outside how many I have. i could take it apart I know but I want to figure it out without taking it apart and only have to take it apart once. I believe that the internals are all stock. Please help!

Don't know if this is correct, but look under Axles: It shows 29 splines from 97-01.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ))

Last edited:
depending on which locker, full case or lunchbox style, you could get 29 spline shafts from a JY. and with a full case locker thats all youd need to have 29 spline shafts. but with a lunchbox locker, youd need the carrier as well

Back