• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard start problem. Need help please.

Bucketheadben

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having an issue with my project MJ. Let's start with its history first.

It's a 99 Cheromanche. I've pulled everything from my old 99 XJ and stuck it in this MJ.
zoo047.jpg

In order to keep the fuel tank in the stock position, I swapped in the H.O. fuel rail, injectors, lines and pump.

The problem is whenever I try to start it; it takes about 5 times before it will fire up. Once it fires up, I have to work the gas pedal until the idle smoothes out or it will die. After about a minute of that, it will idle on its own and run fine. At this point I can kill it and start it back up with no problems. I just pulled and cleaned the throttle body and sensors on it, but it didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ben

How about some more details on the morphing?

99 XJ into what year MJ?

You might have a bad temp sensor.

Temp sensor doesn't come on-line until the engine reaches closed loop temperatures. Has no effect on starting.

... whenever I try to start it; it takes about 5 times before it will fire up. Once it fires up, I have to work the gas pedal until the idle smoothes out or it will die. After about a minute of that, it will idle on its own and run fine. ....

If you are using the 1999 ECM/ECU engine computer, those are the common symptoms of a bad battery. Load test the battery, it may have enough power to start the engine, but the low battery voltage re-boots the ECU/PCM.

Last edited:
Temp sensor doesn't come on-line until the engine reaches closed loop temperatures. Has no effect on starting.

If you are using the 1999 ECM/ECU engine computer, those are the common symptoms of a bad battery. Load test the battery, it may have enough power to start the engine, but the low battery voltage re-boots the ECU/PCM.

I did have to replace the battery a few weeks ago, but it still runs the same.

Ok, so the fuel pump, rail, line, and injectors are all from a system designed to operate at 30/31 psi with vacuum to the pressure regulator and at 39 psi w/o vacuum to the pressure regulator, and you are trying to operate a 99 vehicle with electronics wanting 49 psi constantly.

Right?

That is correct. I was told that the H.O. system would work fine. Here is the link to that topic. http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14996
I really do appreciate the help trying to figure out the problem. This project has been sitting way to long.
Ben

Well, there is HO and then there is HO--specifically, OBDI 91-95 and OBDII 96-01.

The fuel pressure for the OBDI was the same as the Renix, with pressures I already posted above. The OBDII PCM and CAM sensor (which provides the PCM input for the firing duration of the injectors) were designed to operate with different pressures. The PCM, based on inputs from the CPS/CKP and CAM sensor, is trying to operate based on certain programmed parameters, but some of the hardware doesn't match, and I think that is the root of your problem.

However, I might just be p/ing into the wind.

Back