• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More HID troubleshooting...

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
My HIDs are one of my favorite upgrades for my Jeep and would do them again in a heartbeat.

Only problem is I tried to install a relay kit for them last night... Didnt go well and I tore it out and put the stock wiring back in. Now my passenger side bulb doesnt ever light completely, it will just flash at about 1hz.

Im thinking its the wiring (Which the relay kit was supposed to fix ugh)

Any other ideas?

Good kit, as in quality, or eBay/Chinese kit?

Check your grounds, might be loose and giving an intermittent open.

depending on how you wired up the relay kit you might have fried either the bulb or the ballast. swap the bulbs and see if the same side still gives you a problem, if so the ballast is bad. if it moves to the other side the bulb is bad.

if it goes away you're good :D sounds like you crossed a wire somewhere when you were hooking up the relay kit.

good luck. if you figure out its a bulb or a ballast, shoot Tony a PM. replacements can be had for pretty cheap.

depending on how you wired up the relay kit you might have fried either the bulb or the ballast. swap the bulbs and see if the same side still gives you a problem, if so the ballast is bad. if it moves to the other side the bulb is bad.

if it goes away you're good :D sounds like you crossed a wire somewhere when you were hooking up the relay kit.

good luck. if you figure out its a bulb or a ballast, shoot Tony a PM. replacements can be had for pretty cheap.

I will have to do this tomorrow. Dang holidays taking away my garage time... grrr. I guess for now I can just put in an h4 bulb and remove the balast. Ugh, now I see why people pay for professional installation :doh:

Cher Bear,
Swap the ballast from one side to another. It sounds like the relay may have burnt a ballastif you are getting a buzzing noise from one side.

When you swap ballast, if the opposite sides work, that is what went wrong. Shoot me a PM, and we will get that ballast swapped out for ya!
tony

its not too hard but if you dont know your way around electrical you can fry stuff pretty easily :D

Hey now! I am an aspiring Electrical Engineer! I can count binary all day long! Just these dang SMPS are a bit out of my training...

I will do more testing Tony, expect a PM by Saturday if something went kaboom.:doh:

i'm more of a hook it up and see if it starts smoking type of guy and ive been doing electrical for years :D

i'm more of a hook it up and see if it starts smoking type of guy and ive been doing electrical for years :D

Definition of INSANITY: Doing something the same way, repeatedly, and expecting a different result. :looney:

Back