• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished RE 4.5inch lift -Please Help

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I just got everything back together on my 90 XJ after finally putting the RE lift on. Everything looks great so far just got a couple of hopefully small things to take care of.

I realize I don't have a SYE on yet. I am going to try it as is first and do that later as needed. The thing is I got a rubbing/knocking noise that increses with speed. The only thing I can think is the rear driveshaft is hitting.

If you guys could take a look at my driveline angles and point me in the right direction of what needs to happen. I guess its probably going to need some shims of some kind. If so where do I get the correct shims, or can I make my own?

picture008rx.jpg

picture009ml.jpg

picture010rn.jpg

And the other thing is what is the importance of these lines coming off my front axle. What is their function? I traced them and it looks like they go right into the T-case. They keep wanting to fall off.

picture012nq.jpg

The wires go to the vacuum disconnect shift motor...and you're either going to want shims or an SYE, preferably an SYE at 4.5". I know RE makes shims though, and I'm sure you can find them elsewhere too.

Take some brake cleaner and clean the CAD and vacuum fittings up, re-attach the vacuum lines and zip tie them on some how, if they fall off you will not have 4wd.

You need to drop the pinion a couple of degrees, maybe 4 max and a t-case drop of a inch or so should get you close. Those angles are terrible. Buy a set of the RE shims and put the fat end of the wedge towards the T-case, that will turn the pinion back down some.

Are you running lift shackles?

Will a local parts place have shims? I don't have time to order from RE since I want to use the Jeep this weekend. And yes I do have extended shackles. Will it help much to remove those? So should I try 4 degree shims and see what that does?

I will clean up and get those lines in place. Thanks for the heads up.

Ok I pulled the extended shackles I had and went back to the OEM ones. That droped it several inches and now the angles look much better. It drives pretty good, no noticable problems. As far as the T-case drop, is there any way of just putting some shims and using the original bolts? Or should I even bother with this right now? Thanks for all your help.

Ok I pulled the extended shackles I had and went back to the OEM ones. That droped it several inches and now the angles look much better. It drives pretty good, no noticable problems. As far as the T-case drop, is there any way of just putting some shims and using the original bolts? Or should I even bother with this right now? Thanks for all your help.

If its driving good without the long shackles then it will be OK. The short answer is just remove the bolts and studs on each side, go to the hardware and get some longer bolts and some 1"spacers and put them in

Back