• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Connecting exhaust pieces?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I have to cut off my old cat, and then connect a new cat/muffler (already connected to each other) and then connect the tailpipe to that. Whats the easiest/cheapest way to do this? Can I get some 2.5 pipe and use clamps to connect the pieces? Thanks.

Clamps are going to swivel around and stuff no matter how much you tighten them down, it's annoying - except between the cat and muffler, always use a clamp there so you have an easier time pulling it off to install a new muffler+tailpipe without wrecking your cat next time. Put it where you want it, clamp it, drive it to a muffler shop and have one of the guys weld it up for $20, pull the clamps if you want. I have a dinky little fluxcore welder so I just do my own exhaust now.

Another fix to stop the swiveling is to drill a hole and put a small sheet metal screw into the pipe joint in addition to the clamp. I'm going to try welding mine up next time though. All you need is to tack weld it right? Doesn't seem like you need to weld all around.

I went nuts and booger welded it all around because I was just learning (and I had already crushed my muffler pipe and had the tailpipe slide out, so I couldn't get it back in easily and had to cut it down to effectively a butt weld) but yeah, if you have a clamp on it, you can just tack it or throw three or four half inch welds on.

Back