• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust manifold replacement problems

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ Sport, 4.0, AX-15
I replaced the exhaust manifold and idler pulley assembly today. Jeep starts right up but there are some issues:

1.) Burning smell
2.) Brakes much, much worse than before, very little pedal even with pumping
3.) No power steering

Jeep wasn't run very long to determine if the burning smell will go away. Could I have crossed a line somewhere or forgot to connect something? Thanks for any ideas.

I would suspect the large vacuum hose to the brake's power booster might not be assembled.

Unless you cleaned the header before installing it there may have been some kind of preservative on it--just like new brake rotors need cleaning before installation, although most don't.

Did you disconnect the p/s in anyway?

Nope, just zip tied the p/s out of the way. I scraped the block with a wire brush but I didn't think to clean the actual header.

Where is the vacuum hose for the brake power booster located?

Put your right hand on the brake booster, take a hold of the hose, see if the other end is connected to the port on the intake manifold.

Yeah the brake booster is connected then. I added brake fluid but won't be able to drive it till Friday, I'll post if any problems persist. I'm thinking maybe the pulley got wet from all the PB I was using and was slipping.

If you want to test your power booster:

Engine off, pump the brake pedal four times and hold pressure. Start engine. If the pedal falls about an inch, the booster is working.

Back