• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar clearance issue?!

HighTechTerror

NAXJA Forum User
I recently heard an odd noise coming from the front end of the Jeep last time I went out in the rough stuff that sounded like finger nails on the chalkboard. Got out and looked and found that the drivers side sway bar is hitting the inside frame rail / track bar gusset once the suspension articulates.

I have measured the track offset to make sure that my track bar is keeping the axle centered, and it measures within 1/4" difference.

I have a few pictures, but apparently I cannot attach them.

Any thoughts as to what I need to do to correct this issue? :confused:

Thanks for any ideas as to what is wrong.

HighTechTerror
1998 Jeep Cherokee
4" Lift

|_______
[l_|__\___\,___
l--___--_[olllllllo]
()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

Position sway bar as you want it. Use a hose clamp on the driver's side outer of the bushing or passenger side inner of bushing to keep it centered.

Like this, except he put a piece of hose under the hose clamp.
18c.jpg

Is a hose clamp really going to stop it from moving inside the bushing? I was thinking that because of the lift height (approx 4"), it moved the top of the sway bar links down and back.

Would a shorter link (read new disconnects) solve this issue by bringing the sway bar back into "stock" position?

Thanks for the quick response!

|_______
[l_|__\___\,___
l--___--_[olllllllo]
()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

After thinking about it, my reasoning was backwards :doh: .

Since the lift brought the axle farther away from the frame and made the sway bar connection drop, a longer link would bring it back into "stock" position.

In my head, it looks like the problem is more with the position of the top of the sway bar, not it's side-to-side location inside the bushings.

Looking at it again, it also looks like the top of my links (both sides) are bent towards the springs.

Now I am really confused.

Longer links would help. I suggest JKS QDIIs. They are adjustable and quick disconnect. The Arm of the sway bar could be hitting due to it being to low, but still it shouldn't do that. I have a hose clamp on mine to hold the sway bar out from the C4x4 tow hook bolts because I have an addco which is thicker.

Ok, I will check out the hose clamp idea. I will probably get a set of the disconnects too.

Thanks for the information. You have been very helpful.

HTT
|_______
[l_|__\___\,___
l--___--_[olllllllo]
()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

Ok, I will check out the hose clamp idea. I will probably get a set of the disconnects too.

Thanks for the information. You have been very helpful.

HTT
|_______
[l_|__\___\,___
l--___--_[olllllllo]
()_)' ' ()_)---o-)_)

whenever you lift, you should increase the length of your end links and depending on how high you lift and the steering you use, the swaybar mounts on the frame are sometimes dropped.

if money is tight, you can make your own longer disconnects.

do a search for home made disconnects

Back