• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead Radio

thetinman

NAXJA Forum User
My radio doesn't work after it rains. After "something" dries off, it works just fine. Any suggestions where I should start looking to fix the problem. 2001 XJ.

so nothing at all happens when you turn the radio on? no lights, not radio stations, no sound(not even just speaker noise), no nothing???

i would start by pulling the fuse for the radio out of the fuse block, then re-install it. if that doesnt fix, get a meter and trace the curcuit.

If I recall correctly the fuse is in the kick panel of the passenger side. At least 2 of my 8 cherokees have leaked from over on that side, too. I don't have exactly which fuse it is in front of me...sorry and GL.

Leaks come from door seals or windshield seal. Check to see if your carpet is wet.

so nothing at all happens when you turn the radio on? no lights, not radio stations, no sound(not even just speaker noise), no nothing???

Nothing, no station numbers, no time, no sound, nothing. Sometimes after driving the half hour to work, it will start working. When it starts to work again, the time reset to twelve o'clock again. It's not shorting out, cause it works again later in the day. I'm lost.

Nothing, no station numbers, no time, no sound, nothing. Sometimes after driving the half hour to work, it will start working. When it starts to work again, the time reset to twelve o'clock again. It's not shorting out, cause it works again later in the day. I'm lost.

i would look at the fuse to make sure its getting a good connection and that there isnt a build up of corrosion on the fuse or fuse block terminals.

another part that controls the power to the radio is the ignition switch at the base of the steering column, but if that is bad, you would also lose other accesseries

-Try it with the ignition to ACC position.
-Also connecting plug on back of radio maybe loose...
-Does the radio knobs/dial panel lights up ?(with headlights & radio turned on)

You are getting an intermittent open circuit, on the main power and the memory power too. Check the fuses and run the circuit to the radio.

Back