• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a 98 Limited. Questions for 97+

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I have two pre 97 Cherokees so its not like its totally new, just the interior is different. Here are my questions/problems

1. The power windows work fine from the drivers seat. They do not work from each individual seat. There is a lock out switch, but it doesn't impact the functionality. Its like it is always locked out. The switch is a complete module that cannot be taken appart without removing all the switch "buttons". Do they just pop off? Can that module be purchased? How about the bezel around it? mine is broken.

2. Sometimes the engine won't start in Park. Is there a switch on the selector or is it a switch on the steering column like the older XJ's? I shift to neutral to get it to start.

3. I thought all Limited's came with Power Passenger seats! Guess not. Was this an option?

4. There is a blank panel to the right of the main insturemnt cluster. what was this used for?

5. The steering wheel is shot, leather torn up. Will any steering wheel work with Airbags? It also has cruise controls on the steering wheel. Can I get a steering wheel without the cruise controls and just move them over?

Well that's enough for now. Thanks in advance. I did get a 98 Parts List and 2000 FSM, don't know if the last one has the right schematics.

It has the 242 (which I was looking for) limited slip and the Up Country Suspension package with towing. Great driver!

1. It's more than likely the wiring in the door Jamb, common problem.

2. Neutral Safety Switch is bad.

3. No.

4. Diesel Cherokees

5. I don't think so, I think you need to find a steering wheel that look similar. Should be easy since most 97-01 look the same. Just use your switches, because the switches from a 99+ will not work.

Camarors8992,
Thanks for the quick reply!
1. That was great info! Are you referring to where the wiring routs through from the door to the body? If so, which side, or between?

2. I forgot about that! It probably needs cleaning after 123K miles.

3. Interesting, part of the cost reduction.

4. Good to know.

5. I was thinking of 97 - 2001 SW, XJ specific.

On the drivers side, my 98 does the same thing, if I have my doors open none of the windows work. If i shut the door they all work. Next time youre in the Jeep try wiggling the lockout button to see if it makes the other windows work. My jeep does that too.

Yep, 97-01 Xjs mainly got the same steering wheels.

1. X2 on what camarors8992 said

2. probably the neutral safety switch on the passenger side of the transmission housing like camarors said. Search for "neutral safety switch inurl:naxja.org" on google for more info on this.

3. No idea, sorry!

4. That's where the old System Sentry module or clock (if not equipped with a stereo with a clock) went on the pre-97, either it's for diesels like camarors said or it's kept for stylistic reasons. I don't believe system sentry was ever available on 97+ XJs but I'm not sure - it was extremely rare even on pre-97s.

5. Any 97+ wheel should swap over AFAIK. Yes, you can swap the cruise buttons if there is a blank spot for them on the new wheel - the cruise buttons are year-range specific, just swap yours on. You should keep your old airbag so everything fits nicely. Make sure you disable the airbag system while working on the steering wheel unless you like spinal damage, broken noses, etc etc.

2000 FSM should be reasonably close on most stuff, take wiring diagrams and such with a grain of salt like you were saying. 98 Parts Catalog should also be reasonably close, except on electronics and things that changed or were updated.

I have tried the wiggling without success. I did not try the door open vs closed! If the 2000 schematics are right, it is a yellow wire. I will disassemble the door again and continuity test the module and check the wire color from there. If I remember, I will follow up here with the info.

This WILL be fixed!

We do love our Jeeps! No image stablization with that camera!
This is # 5 for me. 1990 XJ (Purchased new, daughter driving it) - 215K, 1992 244K, 1997 I6 - Totaled, 2000 WJ - 145K, 1998 XJ - 123K, Other daughter bought a 98ZJ V8 - 175K.

FYI, not a factory towing pkg. They were not available with the U.C. option.

Interesting thread. One person found that by cleaning the contacts on the lock out switch, everthing worked. So clearly there are a number of problems because one person found a broken wire under the carpet!.

I really didn't see a root cause finding, just a quick fix with a jumper wire which is an indication of the switch being bad, because the the wire now has voltage from the jumper.

So, has anyone just pulled the DMM apart? do you just pull the switch "buttons" off so the PCBA can be pulled out?

I had two of the the power window switches stop working. I took both apart and found the same problem, but broke the plastic that hold the buttons down, so I was uable to reuse. The window lock switch comes unsoldered from the circuit board and only makes contact some of the time. Very easy to fix if you can get the buttons off without breaking the plastic under them. I ended up buy one from rock auto for like 80 bucks.

Why would you sell it? Gives you a rear tow point for the time being. Just saying that it wasn't factory.

10-4

Back