• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving auto shifter back?

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After finally installing my 4 point shoulder harnesses the correct way, I am now having an issue reaching the shifter when Im strapped in.

Im 6'2'' and have the seat moved back fairly far back, and I cant shift all that well from anything farther forward than Drive.

So, has anyone moved the entire shift assembly farther back? I will not be running a center concel, and I dont think a dash will be going back in either, so I am not limited by that stuff.

Anyone done it, thought about doing it, seen anyone do it?

umm.. modify the shifter.. maybe install a newer shifter bar that is angled back farther.

If you do decide to move it, shouldn't be a problem, the whole thing unbolts at once so I guess you could just cut the opening it mounts into a little further back then cover up the resulting hole at the front. It's all cable shifted anyways so as long as the cables reach you're in the clear IMO.

97 + shifters were shaped a bit differently and might help you, you can swap it in for yours.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAuto97+Shifter.htm
I thought about that, but I cant really reach the shifter in my 99 either without leaning forward. That is a slick install though.

If you do decide to move it, shouldn't be a problem, the whole thing unbolts at once so I guess you could just cut the opening it mounts into a little further back then cover up the resulting hole at the front. It's all cable shifted anyways so as long as the cables reach you're in the clear IMO.
I was thinking the same thing, I was just hoping someone had done it before and knew how far back the shifter could go. Im going out to work on it here in a couple hours, so I guess I will report back when I do.

i need to do this same thing. i have the same problem when strapped in i cant reach the shifter either. i would like to have it real close.

let me know how it goes!

Get a Hurst or B&M ratchet shifter and make it work! So I dont have to figure it out as well. lol!

Get a Hurst or B&M ratchet shifter and make it work! So I dont have to figure it out as well. lol!
Agree, or you could try and disassemble and then heat and bend the later model shifter to angle it more to you.

Matt, I put a B&M short throw shifter in my junk, the way I had it set up, it was really close to the dash and I would hit switches with my knuckles. I pulled it out put some heat on it and put a good bend to it right at the base, it moved it back about 4 inches and now it fits good.

Just make sure you pull it out and remove any rubber gaskets or shifter knobs that might melt when heating.

fyi

the aw4 shifter cable from a 94 is about 3 feet longer than a 91

no idea why

figured this out when i did a engine swap my old 91

Alright, got it all figured out.

I wanted to do this as cheap as possible, with the parts I had at home. Im fairly certain it will be a simple install, but I ran out of time and daylight.

So, since I was in the process of ripping my dash out, and the center concel is already gone, it was a fairly easy process.

Please forgive the mess, and lots of wires.

Pull out the four 13mm bolts holding the shifter down
028.jpg

Set aside, and looks like this
023.jpg

Remove the tcase shifter boot you got at Vatozone halfway to the 'con because of the heat coming through the huge hole in your floor, and then remove the 10ish 8mm bolts holding the black plate down to the floor.
024.jpg

Plate all the way off
026.jpg

Shifter sticks down about 2''. Why Jeep did that and cut a huge hole in the floor, rather then some sort of flush mount I have no idea.
032.jpg

Moved the black plate thing back. I need to figure out how to cover the hole farther forward, but more on that tomorrow.
027.jpg

I was able to move the shifter back about 5'', which is exactly what I needed.
033.jpg

More on this tomorrow, but I know its possible now. :D Cost to me: $0

fyi

the aw4 shifter cable from a 94 is about 3 feet longer than a 91

no idea why

figured this out when i did a engine swap my old 91
good info!

i guess ill be thinking up a new center console idea!

with the ease of the shifter sitting higher and further back as well as installing a novak shifter it should be alot more comfortable shifting when strapped in.

Shifter sticks down about 2''. Why Jeep did that and cut a huge hole in the floor, rather then some sort of flush mount I have no idea.
The huge hole is the greatest common denominator, it covers the cutouts for both the manual and automatic transmission "shift towers" from what I understand. Saves them a large sheetmetal pressing line and a lot of part number/bookkeeping hassle to just use two different adapter plates on the same front floor pan.

Moved the black plate thing back. I need to figure out how to cover the hole farther forward, but more on that tomorrow.
teflon coated cookie pans to the rescue!

Cost to me: $0
:thumbup:

update? how did it go?

make sure the shifter cables will reach and still actually work before you go permanent. one is for the park lock, the other is for the AW4
This is what I uderstand to be the greatest challenge.
Why not make a pivot arm and use a rod to connect to the relocated shifter. I'm making my own floor shifter and plan on doing something like that so I can have it closer to me. Along with a....shifter, should be sweet then.

btt.... any update on this?

Back