• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JcrOffroad vs Appalachian Armor T-case Skid

CherokeeManatee

NAXJA Forum User
So JcrOffroad is having their pre-black friday sale and one of the things I need to armor up is a t-case skid. Their skid is marked $50 off and I can't decide if that deal is worth it for a full-sized skid spanning the full width of the Jeep.

Jcr: $125+35shipping = $160
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2...PROD&Product_Code=XJTCS&Category_Code=XJArmor

Appalachian Armor has caught my eye mainly due to their price but people seem happy with their skid.

AA: $78+24shipping = $102
http://www.appalachianarmor.com/products/xj-np231-tc-skid-plate.htm

Now AA and Jcr both have happy customers and I'm not questioning their quality...I'm wondering if it is worth an extra $58 to get a 3rd mounting point (AA only attaches to one side + xmember), an extra 1/16", plus slight cat converter protection (I know they cut to give room for it though).

I'd like to get a skid within the next few months and am not in any particular rush but should I go for the Jcr deal, get the AA, or wait for something to pop up (maybe a junkyard pull)?

One thing I didn't mention is that I'll soon be on a 5.5" RE lift with 33s - the xj will eventually see big rocks so armor is a must.

btw, what is the skid that goes over the point where the rear driveshaft meets the differential? I need the name in order to buy one :doh:

Last edited:
The JCR is a much better design. It provides more protection and adds more strength to the unibody than the AA skid will. I can tell a difference when my Jeep flexes as there is less twist to it now. Plus, you're getting a better value since it's already marked down $50.
Might give the mounting points a look again too. You're getting more than 3 more mounting points.........5 to be exact.

JCR hands down on this one.

Take a look at TnT customs/Treks. Havent looked back since. You could bludgeon Goliath to death with this thing......If you had the strength to swing it

The JCR is a much better design. It provides more protection and adds more strength to the unibody than the AA skid will. I can tell a difference when my Jeep flexes as there is less twist to it now. Plus, you're getting a better value since it's already marked down $50.
Might give the mounting points a look again too. You're getting more than 3 more mounting points.........5 to be exact.

Ok, this is what I'm looking for...I only saw the xmember and 2 sides as a mounting point but I can see where there are other holes along the xmember to mount.

Take a look at TnT customs/Treks. Havent looked back since. You could bludgeon Goliath to death with this thing......If you had the strength to swing it

Yea Treks looks awesome however it's outside my budget. I'm looking for something sub $150 and am willing to get the Jcr if it really is worth the extra money and you guys can convince me.

I have the Appalachian armor one and I think its a great buy for the money. I'd save the 50 bucks and go with it.

Don't wait for a JY find... you're most likely to get a factory TC skid there, and they dont provide much protection.

I think you need to think in terms of use. I have the AA, and couldn't be happier. I do not, however, crawl over rocks as a rule, more of an expedition/snow/mud and forest service road kinda wheeler. If you are going to crawl around on rocks, then the extra protection and stiffening a full skid supplies would seem more practical of an application. Think about it in terms of how you use your XJ.

Agreed. The JCR is a much better design in all aspects. Much stronger because of the rail-to-rail design. I'd hate to see someone support a lot of the weight of their Jeep on the AA piece. Definitely worth the extra money to save your t-case.

I have the TnT piece as well, easily the beefiest skid on the market and much bigger than the rest as well. Internally braced, eliminates the stock cross member all together, and actually raises the t-case up to give you more clearance.

Talk about strength, I was on 32's trying to climb over a rock that was about 20" high on the driver's side (pizza rock at RC) with an open front diff. When it finally caught traction, the Jeep launched up and forward over the rock and came down super hard on the belly pan. Easily the hardest hit I've had on any part of the Jeep (I've dented my AJ's rockrails) and when I checked underneath after the obstacle, there was barely a scratch on anything and no bends anywhere.

i have the jcr & it is bulletproof. a very good design solidly mounted. i need to order their gas tank armor next!

How does the JCR skid mount with a RE or Rustys long arm kit?
I was thinking about getting there skid as well but Im having trouble trying to visualize how it would mount with my long arm and I see that
CherokeeManatee is looking to also run a RE 5.5 lift.

Bill

I ended up building mine because it was so much cheaper. Modeled it after the JCR and DPG one. Made out of 1/4 and works great.

downsized_1105091610a1.jpg

Thanks for all the responses - ended up getting the Jcr on sale today...thought I missed it cuz I was wrenching today but they still have the sale price going this evening :)

Since this rig will see big rocks I don't think I'll regret my choice. If I ever build a lighter rig then an AA skid is definitely where it's at.

Btw, Bill, my 5.5 lift is a short arm setup so I shouldn't have any problems - if anything it'll be from the CA drop bracket braces but that is an easy workaround.

Last edited:
Check into the DPG belly Skid...LOVE mine.....FITS PERFECT and tight to the X member. OOPS, read the above post (after the fact) sorry.

Back