• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating Renix CPS

spctrbytz

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be putting a TF999/D300 combo behind a non-HO Renix 4.0 and am wondering about relocating the crank position sensor.

A friend told me he has seen an aftermarket one that reads off the front of the crank, but am unsure whether this is an option for a Renix setup.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Yes, there is one for the Renix. It is made by Hesco and is spendy.

Guess I could describe my weird project:

I have a complete donor vehicle. It is a rolled (guessing on the year) 1988 XJ, 4.0 Renix, AW4, NP231.

I have a 1985 CJ7 trail/rock rig with a tired 4.2 / T-4 / 4:1 D300.

Sitting in the garage is a TF999 from another 1985 CJ7 that will be rebuilt by a local shop. I want to run the TF999 since it will cost far less to rebuild than the AW4 in the donor vehicle.

I realize that there is an inexpensive kit to adapt an AW4 to a D300, but since this AW4 is 21-spline, I would have to pony up $ for a replacement input shaft for the D300 as well as the adapter. Add up an AW4 rebuild and it gets a little steep. The TF999 can be rebuilt (parts and labor) for around $400 by a pro with a warranty, and would bolt up to my transfer case as-is.

So far, it looks like the best money would be spent on the bling-tastic Hasco CPS relocator at $289.

All this is still on the drawing board, so if anyone has a better idea I would appreciate the input.

Thrown in with all this is a tub swap... so the redneck in my head was thinking about using the entire XJ harness and reusing the XJs instrument cluster.

If the AW4 is toast, get a $100 tranny from someone parting out a donor XJ. You will keep the drivetrain intact and have no issues.

Back