• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any phsyical difference between a 231 and 242?

jeetyet

NAXJA Forum User
we are replacing my trans wednesday and im wanting to get an output shaft for my tcase but there isno tag on it at all. has my curious for the most part on what i gotHasta

there is an extra shift position on the 242 (2HI-4PT-4FT-N-4LO) and you might be able to determine from that if you can use a pipe or something long enough to shift smoothly

also on the 91-96 (and maybe others) there is a small 2-pin wiring connector for the full-time/part-time lights on the rear of the transfer case just below the speedo output. On the 231 that connector is a male plug, but on the 242 it is a female receptacle.

Last edited:
grab on to where it shifts with a pair of channel locks or what not and shift it and see how many positions it has. like ehall said there will be an extra position for the 242.

there is an extra shift position on the 242 (2HI-4PT-4FT-N-4LO) and you might be able to determine from that if you can use a pipe or something long enough to shift smoothly

also on the 91-96 (and maybe others) there is a small 2-pin wiring connector for the full-time/part-time lights on the rear of the transfer case just below the speedo output. On the 231 that connector is a male plug, but on the 242 it is a female receptacle.
my friend has a np 231 in his cherokee(we just check) and it also has the part time selection. i will check the plugs i guess

Back