• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More lift install questions...fire or not??

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Ok, so I have a few bolts in the rear suspension that are frozen. I have used a loosening agent made by Shell Oil on it, but still frozen to the point that I busted a socket wrench this evening trying to break it loose.

It was suggested in a previous thread that I use heat to loosen it. I have one of the small Burnzomatic torches that I use for heating copper piping during plumbing projects. I would think that would be fine to use on these bolts...

My question....this Shell loosening agent says on the can, "flamable, keep away from flame."

So, if I already sprayed this in my first attempt, do you suppose this stuff will loose it's flamability after penatrating and sitting on the bolt overnight, or by using it did I just squash any hope I had of using fire and heat??

Any help would be appreciated. I prefer not to burn down the garage...especially since it sits directly below my living room!!!

Thanks y'all.

Last edited:
try a breaker bar or impact. heat is a good thing also if you are worried about the lube let it dry or wipe it off. keep a spray bottle or hose close if you are that worried

As was said before, keep a fire extinguisher handy when you're using an open flame on your suspension. As far as the flammability of your penetrating agent, spray some on a non flammable surface, wait an hour, and try to light it. Chances are that it won't light.

Usually that warning is about the propane they use as propellant in many aerosol cans... I've torched things with PB-blaster, WD-40, and silicone spray lube on them without more than a candle sized flame. Wipe most of it off and keep a kitchen extinguisher on hand and you'll be just fine... oh, and don't point the flame at the lines along the inboard edge of the driver side uniframe rail, or anywhere near the gas tank / wiring, etc.

I would go the impact and/or 3 ft breaker bar method first. If its a southern jeep that should do the trick...if it has some rust on it the heat will be a better option

Back