• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about SYEs

MUDFLAP

NAXJA Forum User
How high can you go before you absolutely have to get a sye. Heres my specs: 96 xj, 4.0, aw4, 242 case, 3" BDS lift,31 mts,1" tc drop.

Ive got the fenders trimmed up and Im planning on going to 32s maybe 33s when my current tires are used up. I currently dont have a sye but with the 1"tc drop and my bds steering stabilizer I have almost no vibes.I was thinking about adding spacers and shackles to get a little boost before going to the bigger tires. Anybody run higher than 3" of lift without a sye?I take her offroad but nothin very extreme,mostly old loggin roads and moderate trails.Ive heard I could probaly get away with another inch of lift without a sye.I will be adjusting bumpstops accordingly. Thoughts??

Searching would be good. And it would answer your questions.

I have 6" of lift a 1" t case drop and NO SYE. But I want one and want to ditch my drop, no vibes currently though.

MUDFLAP said:
How high can you go before you absolutely have to get a sye. Heres my specs: 96 xj, 4.0, aw4, 242 case, 3" BDS lift,31 mts,1" tc drop.

Ive got the fenders trimmed up and Im planning on going to 32s maybe 33s when my current tires are used up. I currently dont have a sye but with the 1"tc drop and my bds steering stabilizer I have almost no vibes.I was thinking about adding spacers and shackles to get a little boost before going to the bigger tires. Anybody run higher than 3" of lift without a sye?I take her offroad but nothin very extreme,mostly old loggin roads and moderate trails.Ive heard I could probaly get away with another inch of lift without a sye.I will be adjusting bumpstops accordingly. Thoughts??

You don't plan on coming to PA around Thanksgiving to put those spacers in do you?

...You sound like someone my buddy Jason told me about.

Heres my 93XJ with 6" of lift...3" coils and 2 spacers. It only has a t-case drop for now and I get no vibes because its the older style cherokee. Yours is a 96...which was kind of the transition year, you might have basically the 97+ cherokee driveline which would mean you pretty much need a SYE for anything over 2" or you will get vibes.
IMG_1973.jpg

I searched, just wanted some advise from guys runnin the same year, setup etc.
From all Ive read it sounds like there is no black and white answer. Ill just have to wait and see if I get vibes after the added lift. Im thinkin I may be alright since I have a 3" lift now with no vibes and only going up another 1".

andrew2516 said:
You don't plan on coming to PA around Thanksgiving to put those spacers in do you?

...You sound like someone my buddy Jason told me about.

No must be someone else,Ill be doing this in my garage here in NY.
Do you know what the difference in the driveline is from a 96 to a 97?
My xj has the D30/8.25 axle combo with the 242 t case.
By the way nice XJ, any issues other than vibes with that much lift and no sye?Ive got the same homebrew lightbar on mine.

I have a 96' with 5.5" and no vibes with just a t-case drop. reason i have no vibes is, my rear pinion points to the t-case, the 96 came with a longer slip yoke, but i do have an HD SYE ready to go in, just waiting on a shaft selection. If been told by 3 different companies who sell sye's, if it ain't broken don't muck with it. If you have no vibes and works for you fine. I just don't want to be heavy wheeling and i bust that tail cone off the rear of that t-case, cause then it gets real expensive. With that longer slip yoke there is more unsupported weight on the tail shaft. For the money, if you like your rig and plan to keep it, do the SYE, it SHOULD really be done after 3" in my opinion because these weren't designed to be run at these heights and angles. But alot of people just use 'em for hard core wheelin and don't wanna throw bucks at 'em which is fine too because like the vendors said, "if it ain't broke...";)

boomhauer said:
I have a 96' with 5.5" and no vibes with just a t-case drop. reason i have no vibes is, my rear pinion points to the t-case, the 96 came with a longer slip yoke, but i do have an HD SYE ready to go in, just waiting on a shaft selection. If been told by 3 different companies who sell sye's, if it ain't broken don't muck with it. If you have no vibes and works for you fine. I just don't want to be heavy wheeling and i bust that tail cone off the rear of that t-case, cause then it gets real expensive. With that longer slip yoke there is more unsupported weight on the tail shaft. For the money, if you like your rig and plan to keep it, do the SYE, it SHOULD really be done after 3" in my opinion because these weren't designed to be run at these heights and angles. But alot of people just use 'em for hard core wheelin and don't wanna throw bucks at 'em which is fine too because like the vendors said, "if it ain't broke...";)
Thanks for the response! Thats the kind of feedback I was lookin for.What axle do you have in the raer and what t case? Im thinkin if I have the same as you I can get away without the sye til spring when the tax man pays up!

I have 4.5" of lift with no SYE and 1" TC drop. Like another poster above me, I shimmed my axle pinion to point directly at the TC. I've got no vibes.
Its a 96 Country, AW4 and 242 TC.

'96 Sport, had vibes with the 2" BB but a 1" t-case drop (and shims, IIRC) took care of that. As for pointing the rear pinion at the t-case while using the stock driveshaft, that's not right. In stock form the pinion should be parallel to the output shaft of the t-case. With a double-cardan upper joint that is typically added with an SYE, the pinion should point at the output.

Bottom line - you will probably need an SYE; but you never can tell 'til you get there.

I thought this also, regarding pointing the pinion at the TC... but when I had the pinion parallel to the TC output shaft, it vibrated. (?) So I took it all back apart and shimmed it 4*. This pointed my pinion "almost" straight at the TC output shaft and the vibes went away. Lord only knows?

I understand about stock shaft versus a double cardon and proper angles, but in my case the "by the book" method didnt work for me. I don't know why fellas.
I guess it REALLY is true about all XJ's acting differently when lifted, and you dont really know until you do it.

Take care,

James

Back