• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wont start - no crank

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 87 MJ 4.0 Renix. Its never had a prblem starting. It ran fine yesterday. I went out today and it won't crank. Battery seems fine - all the accesories work and the guage reads 12v of power. I tried playing with the shifter, nothing.

I turn the key and nothing happens. No clicks, no crank, nothing.

The only thing that happened recently was that I blew the pump seal in the tranny and blew fluid all over the place .... and I think on the starter.

I have a feeling something is wrong with the starter, but I honestly don't know much about them.

What do you guys think?

Battery, cables, NSS, ignition switch (not the key, at the foot of the steering column), starter relay, starter soleniod or the starter.

First, put the vehicle in park. Then jump 12v from the lug on the starter where the battery + main connects to the small connector where the 12v lead from the the starter relay connects to the solenoid. If it cranks, then the NSS, starter relay, or ignition switch (and their associated wiring) are suspect.

If it won't crank, then the cables, battery, or the solenoid/starter are at fault.

Back