• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine swap questions

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 cherokee with a 2.8 v6. I wanna know if I can swap it for a 4.3 v6. And if not then whats the largest v6 i can go to ?

cool. do you know if i would have to do very much modification or can i just use the adapter kit, drop it in, and bolt it up and go?

Not a simple drop in, you are going to have to have, and integrate into the XJ, the engine management system for the 4.3. However, it has been done and your best bet would be to try and make contact with a couple of people that have actually done the work. And, what transmission are you planning to use?

i don't know what tranny i can use..... i basicly wanna upgrade the powerplant as mch as i can without having to replace all the drivelines and under carrage. I know i wanna keep it an automatic. I don't know maybe the aw4 from the 87 - 93 xj's?

Ok, if you use any electronic controlled trans you will also have to figure out the integration of its control system. The AW4 has a separate controller, so that is a plus, you would have to get some kind of TPS switch to feed info to the TCU, and there is a pressure cable that would have to be arranged for too. Maybe going with a non-electronic GM auto would be an easier change.

Well, a basic upgrade/repacement swap is the 3.4L V6. If you swap in anything else I would say just go for a SBC swap.

Back