• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just bought a 99 Sport 4dr 4x4 from my nieghbor

argetni

NAXJA Forum User
She needed money and I liked the Jeep so I gave her 2k for it. I am starting to think that was too much though :(

160,400 miles on it

Tires are ok, brakes are ok, Body is ok with the exception of the roof.

It drives well I think, but my 2007 Commander is nicer ;)

She was the original owner and it has been dealer maintained since day one. The service manager wanted to buy it for $1500, and he gave it a clean bill of health.

Issues:

1) Rust on about 75% of the roof little flakes all over, not sure how to handle it.

2) Drivers side door check bracket is missing, the pin too. - PART ORDERED - not sure where to get the bolts for the bracket as they are missing too.

3) Passenger side door check pin only missing. - PART ORDERED

4) CHECK ENGINE light is on, I think there may be an exhaust leak though the truck got 295 miles on the last tank and still had 1/4 left.

5) I felt a bit dizzy after driving it tonight, but I sat in it idling and drove it with my battery powered CO detector and it did not get any reading after 15mins or so, so I am not sure.

6) Wheels are rusted pretty bad.

7) Thoughts on the issues?

8) Brakes require a great deal of pedal pressure to stop, I think my 93 Sport was like this too, but that was long ago and it was new.

I look forward to being an active member of the forum!

Thanks.

Last edited:
No doubt your Commander IS "nicer". But now you have a cool beater that you don't have to worry about dings, scratches, dirt inside, etc. And don't worry about your $2k being too much. That's water over the dam anyway, and I still think it's a good deal. The "consensus" on other threads is that '99 is THE best year too. Congratulations.

Small comment on the door check pins. Mine popped out of the drivers door with a PING and I never could find it. Ordered a new one from the stealership for $7. It kept riding up in the hole like the last one and I kept pushing it down. Well, I let my better half use it for a couple of weeks without my interference and lo and behold, the pin had disappeared (as I knew it would). No point in another pin that constantly needed prodding to keep in place. I think the hold in the bracket must be worn oversize. New "pin" consists of a 1" long shoulder bolt with a nut locktited on place. Saved $7 and no more nagging checking of pin.

Good luck with your new beater.

Rusty steel wheels is a $10 afternoon project. Sand them up, prime, paint.

For the CEL, hit your local parts store and see if they can pull the codes. If it runs and drives fine, I wouldn't get too concerned- could be as simple as a sensor going out.

Dorman sells the pins for the checks ($5 for 4 or thereabouts) but if the bracket or strap are worn, beater's idea may be a better fix. Pull one of the other brackets, and match the bolt at your local hardware store. They should all be the same. You can probably find all of those in your local junkyard for cheap as well.

Have fun!

Be careful with that leaky exhaust! The prior owner of my Jeep had to spend a day in the hospital the last time he drove it so it was parked. Turns out an exhaust leak by itself won't make you sick, but that coupled with an 02 stuck at zero volts definitely will!

My 98 requires quite a bit of pedal pressure to stop as well. I've had the brakes checked and there were no problems reported with about 40% wear remaining. It always surprises me when I jump in my 89 Celica GTS which has 4 wheel disc with no ABS.....thing stops from 70 in nothin' flat. It always takes me a day to re-learn the pedal pressure in the XJ....they're heavy rigs.

Also, you did not get ripped off at $2,000. I paid $2900 for my 98 Limited 2wd with 130k last year. I overpaid slightly because my previous car blew up but I still don't feel like I got ripped too bad. You did great for a 99! Welcome to the forum

Good deal I say! I bought my '98 2 years ago with 130ish on it for $3400. I thought that was a good deal.
Get the code checked and let us know. If your getting sick while driving then don't drive it till that exhaust gets fixed.
When I go from my Toyota corolla to my Jeep I often lock it up (the Jeep) because the brakes work really well.

You could always swing by the nearest airport and pick up a CO2 detector from a pilot's shop. It's a little $10 card with a chemical blot in the middle- if it changes colors stop driving. Or just carry a canary. :)

Or just carry a canary. :)

That is rich!! :roflmao: I remember driving in the days when exhaust hardware quality was so lame and components failed so quickly that the "canary" should have been original equipment! Boy has technology changed. I have 140k on my 1999, and have all original exhaust components.

*Pull the codes and post here for comment. Speculation is useless.
*Take an afternoon and paint your wheels. Good bang for the buck.
*Complete inspection of your brake system is warranted.
*Find somebody that has a compressor and a spray gun to spray your roof
*Inspect your exhaust!
*Consider changing all fluids (transmission, t-case, diffs, coolant, oil) unless you have proof of recent service
*Enjoy your 99, I love mine!

X2 on brake and PS fluid. When I bled my brakes for the first time on my Jeep it came out pretty rusty and chunky from the rear right wheel - the lines were badly corroded both inside and out. I have since replaced most of the steel hardline.

Where did she park it, on the beach. Have not seen a rusted roof an a 97+ XJ yet, as far as the check pins, hit a junkyard for the bolts and such.

<snip>
It drives well I think, but my 2007 Commander is nicer ;)
<snip>
1) Rust on about 75% of the roof little flakes all over, not sure how to handle it.

<snip>

5) I felt a bit dizzy after driving it tonight, but I sat in it idling and drove it with my battery powered CO detector and it did not get any reading after 15mins or so, so I am not sure.

6) Wheels are rusted pretty bad.

<snip>

8) Brakes require a great deal of pedal pressure to stop, I think my 93 Sport was like this too, but that was long ago and it was new.

I would expect a 2007 model to drive better! The XJ was designed in the 80's!!!

1) I have a quarter sized spot on my roof where the paint flaked, but haven't seen an entire roof rusted on a newer XJ.

5) You were just giddy with excitement after driving a classic Jeep like an XJ!

6) As others have said, spray can!

8) Mine requires some pressure too, much more than any of my other cars. But, I did improve it somewhat after adjusting the rear drum brakes. Sometimes the self adjusters don't self adjust.

Good luck!

Back