• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton E Locker experience

Mike Axle

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any personal experience with the new Eaton E locker? I am trying to decide weather to go with an ARB or the Eaton E locker.

front or rear axle???? the thing i dont like about the e locker is that it uses clutch packs for the limited slip but i have no experience with it.

I have the E-Locker in my BlaZeR-2 (8.5" 10 Bolt rear) and I really liked it.

I dont think it have the clutches, I believe that it just have the spider gears like a stock open carrier does but uses a few locking pins that drive into one side of the spider gear to lock/engage the carrier to act as a spool.

The locker will work great for you if you don put too big tires and or too much of power and don't engage while both tires' spinning at different speed.

The locker suits me just fine for what I need with my BlaZeR-2 which pretty much just a daily driver and a sand dunes toy. Other wise with my XJ I tend to push it harder so I would look for a stronger locker instead.

One thing I like the Eaton E-Locker that they have the huge advantage of dont need any air compressor crap to deal with. I just need to do some wiring and hook-up a relay and aswitch, DONE!

Last edited:
I have it in my BlaZeR-2 (8.5" 10 Bolt rear)

I love it, it locks great and I dont think it have the clutches, it basically have spider gears and uses pins that drive into one side of the spider gear to lock it.

If you respect it, it will do great for you.

BTW IIRC they arent the STRONGEST selectable locker available. ARB's suppose to be stronger.

for what i need with my BlaZeR-2, it suits me just fine, but with my XJ, probably not as I tend to push my XJ harder.

however the Eaton E-Locker have huge advantage of dont need any air compressor crap to deal with, just some wiring and a relay and switch, DONE!
Please edit this. Horrible english. :patriot:

front or rear axle???? the thing i dont like about the e locker is that it uses clutch packs for the limited slip but i have no experience with it.
Your talking about the Auburn Ected, NOT the same as an Eaton E-locker.
Apples/Oranges.

Eaton E-Locker is either open or Locked! It does not function as a limited slip and does not have clutches.
Bingo!!

Running E-Lockers in both axles. One of the best upgrades on my heep ever!

Your talking about the Auburn Ected, NOT the same as an Eaton E-locker.
Apples/Oranges.

Bingo!!

Running E-Lockers in both axles. One of the best upgrades on my heep ever!

Do you have the D30 front? I too am looking at the Eaton E-Locker for the front. The other option for me would be the OX.

I'm running an E-locker. I've yet to have any problems with it. It always works and turns on when I push the button, never noticed a drop in my AMPs either. I like it because you don't have to worry as much about the routing like with the air lines getting melted and such. And worse case, if the wire breaks you can just splice it up again...super easy to repair on the trail.

I recommend E-locker to anyone looking for a selectable locker. I WAS going to go ARB but after hearing how hard it is to route, at factoring in the cost of a compressor and such, I just went with the (in my oppinion simpler) E-locker. I also looked at OX, but I work at a bike shop (and have for years) and have learned all about cable stretch. The stretch that can happen with a cable and the possible snap-factor turned me away from OX, as adjusting isn't only a pain to begin with but it'd also be a dirty and all too frequent problem to set-up. I hear once set-up they're great, but what about when something happens to the cables? How do you repair, adjust, on the trail with a time constrait? And for the record, yes, the E-locker is FULLY open when off and FULLY locked when on. The Ected locker becomes an LSD when OFF.

I'm running it in a D30 with 4.88s for what it's worth.

~Scott

I'm running an E-locker. I've yet to have any problems with it. It always works and turns on when I push the button, never noticed a drop in my AMPs either. I like it because you don't have to worry as much about the routing like with the air lines getting melted and such. And worse case, if the wire breaks you can just splice it up again...super easy to repair on the trail.

I recommend E-locker to anyone looking for a selectable locker. I WAS going to go ARB but after hearing how hard it is to route, at factoring in the cost of a compressor and such, I just went with the (in my oppinion simpler) E-locker. I also looked at OX, but I work at a bike shop (and have for years) and have learned all about cable stretch. The stretch that can happen with a cable and the possible snap-factor turned me away from OX, as adjusting isn't only a pain to begin with but it'd also be a dirty and all too frequent problem to set-up. I hear once set-up they're great, but what about when something happens to the cables? How do you repair, adjust, on the trail with a time constrait? And for the record, yes, the E-locker is FULLY open when off and FULLY locked when on. The Ected locker becomes an LSD when OFF.

I'm running it in a D30 with 4.88s for what it's worth.

~Scott

Thank you.

That sure is good news. I have to regear my D30 and will be adding a locker when I do.

I've been poking around the usual XJ parts sites and seem to only be able to find them for the 8.8 and Dana 44. Where have you guys found them?

My local gear guy won't install E-lockers anymore, because he claims to have seen too many break.

I havent used them myself, but there is probably a reason ARB is so proven..

Thanks Frank. Is their anything else you need other than the Timken bearing listed in the ad? Sure seems the way to go. No compressors or cables and the price is really resonable (about the same as just an ARB locker without the compressor).

Actually I did try google but had my search words configured differently so all I found when I scanned was discussion groups talking about them or taking me to dealers selling the D44. Funny thing is I remember 4 Wheel Parts mentioning the new Dana 30 E-locker was coming out in their adventure magazine. When I go to search 4WP or 4WD Hardware, they don't list anything but the D44, D60, and 8.8 versions.

JP did a whole write up on lockers about 2 months ago. The gave both eaton and ected high marks, but in the same issue a guy wrote in with complaints about the ected breaking and being weak. Their response, I believe, was that they had the ected in a jeep with a v-8 swap and it had held up just fine. Probably really depends on how hard you are on your rig.

JP did a whole write up on lockers about 2 months ago. The gave both eaton and ected high marks, but in the same issue a guy wrote in with complaints about the ected breaking and being weak. Their response, I believe, was that they had the ected in a jeep with a v-8 swap and it had held up just fine. Probably really depends on how hard you are on your rig.

Maybe the guy installed it himself and did something wrong? :dunno: I really would like an e locker or OX but I can't see myself paying that much for one of those so its probably an Aussie for me.

Back