• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 tps

nomorecash

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1987 4.0 5 speed and i need a new tps but the price is high. will the tps from the auto work in my 5 speed it is less than half the price

Not positive, but I believe a tps is a tps as long as it is for the correct years

haven't done it (have an AW4) but because the ECU is separate from the TCU (in autos) you should be able to use the ECU (3 wire) plug and tape off the TCU (4 wire) attachment without problem.

X2 on what shorty said, is it one connector on the autos or two? If it's one connector you can either splice in an auto connector after comparing wiring colors / FSM wiring diagrams or build an adapter cable that goes between the two. Use contact cleaner and then plenty of dielectric grease while you're in there.

auto has two plugs (one for each computer)
stick has only one (for ECU)

I'm fairly sure the ECU plug is the same, but for "twice the price" I'd be willing to splice if needed. Just be sure the wires spliced (if necessary) are from the ECU side of things-- the TCU signal on the Renix era TPS is reverse from the ECU (readings go up for the TCU when they go down for the ECU and v.v.)

I'm running a '89 auto TPS on my '87 MJ with AX15. Works fine....

Jeff

Back