• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 vs Chrysler 8.25" (C-Clips)

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
I read that my Dana 35 does not have c-clips but that 8.25"'s do. So if I keep my Dana 35 and break an axle shaft my wheel will stay on, whereas if I had an 8.25" my wheel would detach from the housing. Do I have this correct?

I see. Well, searching 8.25 doesn't result in any matches for whatever reason. Maybe my computer is messed up. Alternatively, I could just be slow. lol :helpme:

Ok, a quick (not advanced) search worked. In reference to the 8.25" axle I found, "you'll snap the shaft before you screw up anything to do with the c-clip."

So case closed then guess. I'll be looking for a local 29 spline 8.25".

Some D35's have c clips too..So yes you can lose the axle..They have some pics of guy that use there hi-lift jack an straps to hold the tire and axle in place..Good tie downs and grease will get you out to the road..HTH..

Put on rear discs and you won't lose your rear axle shaft when the c-clip breaks.

I was going to keep drum brakes because I wanted to keep the factory e-brake setup.

I had assumed any e-brake setup with discs would be costly or require some fabrication or pain in my ass parts gathering.

Anyways, I wont be going larger than 33's with a locker so hopefully c-clip failure on an 8.25" will be unlikely in my case.

no, a disc conversion is fairly simple and you can use your existing e-brake cables with the disc ebrake drums.

Some D35's have c clips too..So yes you can lose the axle..They have some pics of guy that use there hi-lift jack an straps to hold the tire and axle in place..Good tie downs and grease will get you out to the road..HTH..

Would like to see a picture of that! I have an 89 so my D35 shouldn't have c-clips. Though it sounds like either my pinion or axle bearing is making noise and the brakes need replacing so I was going to swap soon.

no, a disc conversion is fairly simple and you can use your existing e-brake cables with the disc ebrake drums.

Ok, maybe I need to do some searching then. Real quick though, did 8.25"s ever come with discs? I thought everyone swapped in 8.8"s for discs, which required perch welding - something I'm not equipped to do just yet.

8.25s on Liberties had an option for rear discs I believe. I'm not entirely sure on that - check your local junkyard.

8.8s are great for a variety of reasons, including disc brakes standard after 95 or 96, but yeah, perch welding is required.

Back