• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JEEP CHEROKEE FOG LIGHT INSTALL KIT

thetinman

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a "NEW OEM 1997-2001 JEEP CHEROKEE FOG LIGHT INSTALL KIT."
The only problem is that it has no instructions. It comes with wiring, plugs, switches an fuses. Everything, but the instructions. Sucks. Any ideas where I can get a hard copy, or link to installing this thing? Any suggestions on the lights I should buy. I want clear and very bright driving lights.

FSM is your friend

If you can wait till Wed of next week I can scan my 97-01 OEM instructions from the kit I installed a while back.

I have a set home too, at least I think they are still in the box, I did not use the engine bay half of the kit, only the interior, finishes up with ONE yellow or red wire which I ran to a hella fused relay which the lights were then connected to.

2000XJSPORT....that would be great. what kinda light did ya get?

Not sure I understand what you are asking? Like what kind of light did it add? or what king of Fog lamps did I install.

The Key to the 97-01 factory Fog lamps if you want to use them are driving lights and not fog lamps is to remove the baffles in each lamp assembly. This will increase the light output with the same 55 watt lamp that comes OEM. It takes a little time to do but all you need is needle nose pliers and a flat head screw driver. I can explain more if you want.

Just a word of advice. I discovered my 97 SE didn't have the pins in the PDC for the fog light relays. You may need to modify your PDC and add the terminals.

Just a word of advice. I discovered my 97 SE didn't have the pins in the PDC for the fog light relays. You may need to modify your PDC and add the terminals.

If you use the add on wiring kit it bypasses the PDC completely, I had the same issue with my 98 [built aug 97] that I bought in Nov 97.
I used the harness on the inside and used the single wire that results from it to trigger a Hella fused relay that I mounted near the battery, I also used heavier wire to wire the lights themselves.

If you use the add on wiring kit it bypasses the PDC completely, I had the same issue with my 98 [built aug 97] that I bought in Nov 97.
I used the harness on the inside and used the single wire that results from it to trigger a Hella fused relay that I mounted near the battery, I also used heavier wire to wire the lights themselves.

X2

Purchased my 98 XJ in Oct 97 and installed the factory fog light harness in Dec 97.
The internal foglight wiring harness provides a choice of activating ONLY with the low beams on or you can leave the one wire disconnected from the internal wiring harness which will allow you to run the lights with the high beams on; which is what I did.
There should be a yellow wire which will go thru the firewall that is the signal voltage to activate the relay for the fog lights.
I did the same as Richard, and used the yellow wire to activate the relay for a set of PIAA lights that I use as running lights and upgraded them to 85W.

X2

Purchased my 98 XJ in Oct 97 and installed the factory fog light harness in Dec 97.
The internal foglight wiring harness provides a choice of activating ONLY with the low beams on or you can leave the one wire disconnected from the internal wiring harness which will allow you to run the lights with the high beams on; which is what I did.
There should be a yellow wire which will go thru the firewall that is the signal voltage to activate the relay for the fog lights.
I did the same as Richard, and used the yellow wire to activate the relay for a set of PIAA lights that I use as running lights and upgraded them to 85W.

<thread jack>Do you have a write up on how you did yours? I got installed the fog light switch and bezel from my 98 sport, and I want to wire the switch up to a set of lights. From what you said, I can just trace the yellow wire and use that as a signal for an aftermarket relay.

What about the indicator light in the switch, is there a way to make it light up when the switch is activated?</thread jack>

<thread jack>Do you have a write up on how you did yours? I got installed the fog light switch and bezel from my 98 sport, and I want to wire the switch up to a set of lights. From what you said, I can just trace the yellow wire and use that as a signal for an aftermarket relay.

What about the indicator light in the switch, is there a way to make it light up when the switch is activated?</thread jack>

YES.... IF you have the OEM foglight harness installed... there will be a yellow wire that goes from the harness inside the dash board thru the firewall to a relay in the engine compartment for the foglights. You can disconnect that wire and use it as a 12V signal wire to activate the aftermarket foglight kit relay.
Verify voltage on the yellow wire before connecting to ensure it is switched by the foglight switch you installed.

this is probably a bad question, but has the stock plugs on the foglights given anyone else a massive hassle to get them unplugged? i feel stupid even trying to get them unplugged

If your connectors are the same as mine were you need to raise a retainer that holds onto a tab and then separate the connector by wiggling the water proof connector halves....
When you reassemble; you should apply a dab of dielectric grease to the terminals and connector to make disassembly easier next time.

Anyone notice....FOG lights and DRIVING lights are two different animals. Fog lights typically come on with low beams only. This is the way the factory harnes is designed. Driving lights (long range lights) would come on with high beams, or independently...and can't be simply connected to factory harness. Factory fog light harness allows fog lights only with low beam head lights. Just my 2-cents...

Also: Driving Light hookup is not DOT legal in most States. The reason is that High Beam operation is counted as 4 headlights, and if you them turn on driving lights, that exceeds the max number of lights allowed to operate at one time.

Anyone notice....FOG lights and DRIVING lights are two different animals. Fog lights typically come on with low beams only. This is the way the factory harnes is designed. Driving lights (long range lights) would come on with high beams, or independently...and can't be simply connected to factory harness. Factory fog light harness allows fog lights only with low beam head lights. Just my 2-cents...

Many years ago (>10) when I installed the factory fog light harness; I did not connect the wire that ties into the hi beam circuit which would normally deactivate the fog light relay. My fog lights stay on even with the hi beams.
The day time running lights are issued in Canada and the states on the Canadian border.

I know thread is old. I used the search feature.

Anyways. I have a 1997 Cherokee XJ now (YJ sold). The fuse box in the engine bay has no prongs for the fuse or relay. Looks like people are using the yellow wire from the factory switch inside cab? Then attaching that to an aftermarket relay kit? THis way you can still use the factory switch?

I know thread is old. I used the search feature.

Anyways. I have a 1997 Cherokee XJ now (YJ sold). The fuse box in the engine bay has no prongs for the fuse or relay. Looks like people are using the yellow wire from the factory switch inside cab? Then attaching that to an aftermarket relay kit? THis way you can still use the factory switch?

Easiest way would be to run your own wire from the switch to the lights with a relay inline. I went down the same path when I tried to retro fit the fog lights from my 98 Sport to my 97 SE.

IIRC, there are 4 wires to the switch, power, ground, dash light, and output. Just splice into the output wire and run it to a relay, and come from the relay to your fogs.

I did just that to wire my offroad lights up to the factory switch.

Thanks for the quick reply.

When I turn the headlights on. I see the "dash light" come on the switch. But, when I flip the factory switch, the little light icon, doesn't light. To show fogs are on.

So, no power to switch I assume?

The fuse and replay in fuse box in engine bay have no metal clips.

Little confused.

Details: I have the factory switch installed. Factory wires where there. Also, factory wires are also by front bumper. Just no metal clips for fuse and relay.

Last edited:
Back