• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 sensor change

wcbuyer

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to change my O2 sensor before the cat. Any tips or tricks - such as spray it with PB Blaster the night before, change it when it is cold, warm, or hot?

Thanks

Charles
'99 4.0

Shoulden't be too diffucult. If it won't move (after been sprayed with pb blaster the night before) you can heat up the base with a propane torch, just be careful of any fuel lines. Do it when it's hot, wear gloves and be careful of the pipe.

Get some anti-sieze and put a little (very little) on the threads (don't get any on the tip) before you install the new one. Next time, if there is one, it will slide out like butter.

When I changed mine on my '88 with about 160K and it came right out.

It should come right out (mine did). I would rather work on it when it's cold. Anti-sieze is a good idea (my new 02 sensors came with anti-sieze on the threads).

If it won't come out easy after the initial break-away torque, stop and get an oxy-acetylene rig after it. Heat till the mounting boss is cherry red. FUBAR'd O2 threads suck.

Heat and breaker bar did it to mine last week.

Thank you for the replies. I was going to spray the O2 sensor for replacement the next night or so but decided to try to remove it. It came right out without a problem. Getting to the connector was the hardest part.

Thanks again

Charles
'99XJ

Back