• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle install

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
Is this hard to do?
i am taking out a 2wd axle and putting in a 4x4 dana 30 with stock gearing, any sugestions,

1.)jack up vehicle and put jackstands on unibody by the front doors behind lower control arm mounts, remove wheels and support axle with another set of jackstands,or support it with the jack.
2.)undo calipers and reuse if you don't want to bleed brakes and they are good, tie them up, 3.)undo trackbar on axle side, 4.)undo upper arms on axle, 5.)undo lowers on axle, 6.)undo steering from knuckles, let it all hang and then remove 2wd beam, place dana 30 and do the steps in opposite order:).

sweet man thank you soo much for all the help chris once i get this done we will have to hook up and go climbing

no worries, hope it helps. Keep in mind there will be a fair amount of cursing involved most likely:) Everything binds up so you have to jack axle up/down/shift sideways etc to get all the bolts out cleanly, unless you are replacing them. If you have adjustable upper arms(not stock) this would be the time to adjust them for pinion orientation as well for the dana 30. If you plan on beating on it a bit you may want to look into reinforcing the axle side lower control arms mounts, JKS and Currie make a skid for the bottom that boxes them in. Also the trackbar mount on the axle side needs a trim to get a bit more droop, you can cycle it a bit when the spring are off and see where everything binds up and take note of that.

Also not a bad time to replace some bushings, upper control arm bushings for the dana 30 side are cheap, and not sure what sort of control arms(stock, aftermarket?) you have but that would also be a good time to check those bushings as well as all your tie rod ends, trackbar bushing/ tie rod end.

cool thanks man and no i have stock control arms and i hope i can do this if not then maybe crazyjim will have to spot me lol if he would be soo kind lol

Back