• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove lower sway bar bolt?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
97 Sport, clean CO Jeep without any rust or other surprises.

Title says it all. Went to remove lower sway bar Torx bolt, it wouldn't budge. Twisted two BURLY T55 bits to an unusable mess. PB Blaster, double-nut method, torch....no budge.

How the heck are these things in there, and how do you get them out??

They are splined, so you won't be able to turn them. I used PB blaster and a hammer to loosen them up a little and then a pitman arm puller to press them out.

Careful with that persuader..... those brackets are not that strong, sideways. They will bend over very easily. Use a press or a puller, grind off the head, drill it out, etc.

I used a socket & c-clamp. If it doesn't budge after you've cranked it down as tight as you're able by hand, tap the stud-side with your "multi-tool" and it should pop. The clamp and socket should keep the pin from firing out across the garage, denting your prized street car. I'm just saying...

Ahh, excellent recommended approach. Sounds like a plan. And it would be very good indeed to avoid putting a nice dent in the G37 coupe....that would be a bad, bad day.

Back