• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 4X4 conversion

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
I found a good deal on a 91 MJ 2wd in exc. condition. I can get the complete running gear from a 96 XJ cheap. What am I looking at as far as converting the MJ to 4wd? My dad is looking for a truck so I would like to build this for him, but I am on a pretty limited budget. My XJ is breaking me.:rolleyes: Any help would be appreciated.

So I can use the transmission, front axle, ect. from the 96 XJ right? The MJ is a 4.0 so the AW4 from the XJ should bolt up, or are we talkin PCM problems?

Uhhhhh no hot_rod_hooligans, you need to change out the tailshaft too. It's a different length. That means pulling everything out of the transmission, then swapping the shaft, then putting everything back in.

There are a few threads out there about 2wd to 4wd conversions. I've got one going... sorta... when I get time to work on it. Make sure you get a tranny from the same model year range - the right spline count and sensors go a long way toward making your head hurt less. Also, you are going to need the rear driveshaft out of an auto 4x4 MJ I believe, it's way longer than an XJ one. The front driveshaft is the same as a front XJ auto driveshaft I think, but you'll want to verify that info.

The 96 front axle will work no problem. The 96 transmission and tcase should bolt up no problem (need a floor shifter too). There were some changes for OBDII but the powertrain gear should work with the 91 TCU commands since it's just solenoids and output sensors that did not change until 97 (the TCU cannot be changed anyway without replacing the ECU and some sensors [such as TPS]). I think you'll only need to swap the MJ speedo assembly and you'll be good to go. The Power-Comfort switch should also still work.

Not to hijack the thread but i am looking to doing the same thing will a transmission out of an early model xj fit into a late model xj with no problems because i have a 94 4wheel drive that is wrecked but good mechanical parts and i am getting a 2wd 97 and would like to convert it over to 4wd. Thanks

Back