• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap HID's

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i heard these were great for the money.

I had a set of those HID's and I ended up selling them to get the Soltek's before I ever even mounted the HID's. I'm sure they have good light output but I think the Soltek's will stand the test of time 100x over.

I don't like how those have an exposed bulb. If someone looks at it, it will burn their retina permanently. There needs to be some kind of shield in front of the bulb.

Since the light just spilling out from the bulb is useless, it might be a good idea to build an aluminum reflector cup and glue it to the inside of the lens.

Last edited:
Why does the JP magazine article say they are 99 per light, yet Kragen sells them for 135 a pop?

Is there some deal if you buy two or something?

i think they upped the price after JP made them known :)

I bought a pair for 200 bucks at checker here about 1 year ago. Still going strong on the buggy. Not sure what you guys mean about exposed bulb. It's in a sealed housing then they have a rock / cover that sorta snaps over 3/4 of the light. They still go on sale every once in a while. Mine were listed for 125 a piece then 25 bucks off for the week.

I bought mine on sale at Kragen for $99 each.

They work okay. I put them on my Sierra 2500. The light output is not staggering.

IMO not too much better than halogens.

But then again, by the time the sun goes down in the dezert and I'm ready to do a little night wheelin', I'm usually 3 sheets to the wind anywho......:gee:

Back