• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled the carpet...now the XJ is too loud and hot

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
A few months back I pulled the carpet out of my 2000 XJ, threw away the rear cargo carpet (because I thought my Newfie had destroyed it) and pulled out the rest of the interior carpert so I could try to get the stink out of it. Turned out that my heater core had leaked into the carpet and gotten the padding underneath moldy. I pulled all of the padding off the bottom of the carpet and reinstalled in the cab. After a couple months I've finally realized that my XJ is way too loud in the interior, and it gets rather hot in the summer.

I could go to the junkyard and get a replacement carpet from a wrecked XJ but I'd rather not have to take out my seats and pull the carpet again. (any idea how much a carpet would run me from a junkyard?)

Any good alternatives out there to fix this issue?

Thanks,

You could probably fetch the whole interior carpet from a pick and pull for 20 bucks.. Why not just buy new carpet jute ( that is the name, not sure on the spelling for the insulation), but fairly inexpensive the last time I bought it, and put it in , and just get universal carpet from an auto store and piece it in, I did this a few years back, and it turned out rather well. I think you couldget fairly cheap new carpet from JC whitney.. But yeah JY the cheapest option...

A heat shield from 1998 Grand Cherokee will help reduce the heat inside the cabin. For the noise, I do not know. I replaced the carpet in my XJ to reduce the noise.
The exhaust heat shield from the WJ fit the XJ perfectly. No modifications were necessary.

I remember seeing a post where a guy used sound deadening padding under the carpet and in the door panels. It looked like a lot of work but he claimed great results. Might be worth looking into if you already have the carpet pulled.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more details.

My original 1985 XJ had the full rubberized mat/liner, no carpet. It was nice because you could clean the mud and stuff easier. I switched over to carpet. About 8 years or so ago I found an ebay add for new carpet. I think it cost me about $100 shipped. It was nice, but you I had to pull the extra sound deadening from my rubber liner. I recommend the dynamat. It really helps sound levels. As far as heat from the CAT, an air bake cookie sheet mounted above the cat will lower the floor temps dramatically.

i got a carpet from the boneyard but cut it in 3 pieces one for in front and slightly under each front seat and a wide piece for in front of the back seat including the hump if it gets wet in the lake i pull them out wash em off and toss em back in when dry.( do not air dry on roof, just cause their heavy they wont stay)

I ran without an interior for a while but the heat and noise never got bad enough that I would want somebody’s used smelly stained carpet. But if you drive in a lake maybe not a bad idea.

www.stockinteriors.com ACC complete kit 214.95 gives you that new car smell with a little work. If you had an older Cherokee ACC have a vinyl kit.

If you don't want to pull the seats another option would be to get some floor mats and maybe a roll of carpet for the rear deck that should help some.

Or if you want to spend some money you could do it like mine. I have the ACC complete kit ultra-plush cut pile with mass backing and RAAMmat sound deadening. The heat and noise is gone.

I tore out my carpet and laid down some FatMat sound deadening stuff. Its great and fairly cheap. I was able to do the whole thing with only 25-30sq-ft. I bought the 50sq-ft roll for $40. I like how it laid down and it makes everything nice and quiet. As for carpet, i would junkyard search for it. no reason to buy brand new unless your really picky.

if you just want some of the noise gone, but want to keep from installing carpet, install some bedliner w/ thin fiberglass cloth in it. if you want more sound/heat deadening, put on more coats/layers.

Hi guys bringing this thread back. My buddy owns a car wash and said he can use his extractor to clean my carpet up and get the smell out. Any idea where I can get the jute stuff? I'm thinking that I'll lay down some FATMat and then some jute to quiet it up.

Probably the best carpet and padding would be out of a junkyard. It's molded the right shape, with holes for wires and bolts in all the right places. I put a '98 interior in my '96-seats, console, carpeting, and the carpet fit like a glove. The '96 is a Country, and it came with 'Extra Quiet Insulation', the padding under the carpet was thicker than normal. I carefully peeled it off the original carpet, laid it down, and installed the '98 carpet, with its own padding, over the old stuff. Wow! Quiet as a tomb, and cushy. That's what I would do.

When I got my MJ it had no carpet or padding. It did have a roll of rubber mat 6'x6' and a roll of aluminized insulation. I just finished putting both in but I don't really want a rubber floor (but I'm leaving it there for insulation/sound/waterproofing). Next step is to cover it all with short pile carpet from Home Depot. Pics coming soon.

Actually found a couple places to buy the jute padding online. I found some 27 oz for relatively cheap - around $50 with shipping to cover the interior. My plan is to take my jeep down to my buddies shop, pull the interior and have his guys clean it with their carpet machine while I cut and install the padding. I'm assuming I can just cover the entire floor right or are there sections that I can't/shouldnt cover? Do I need to use any adhesive or should I just lay it in?

Back