• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing some Hella lights, don't like their method.

evmoius

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be doing some nighttime dune wheeling this weekend and decided to install some Hella lights to help see those unexpected drop offs. I got some 100w bulbs to replace the 55w bulbs they came with to brighten things up even more.

Now the problem is I'm looking at the wiring diagram they provided:

www.myhellalights.com/mounting_instructions/500_series.pdf

I want these new lights to operate completely independent of the stock lights, can I just run the wire that's supposed to splice into the +12v on the headlight wire harness back to the +battery terminal?

On another note what about wiring them into the stock fog lights? I've already done the mod that allows you to operate them independent of the high beam switch. Seems like this may be a very easy way to go and the stock fog lights are pretty much useless IMO. Thoughts?

I would use a relay (or two).

Personally I would tap into a hot source (I've used interior lights in the last) and run that to a switch. Then ground the switch. Run a wire from the from the other prong on the switch to a relay. Ground the relay, and run a wire from the hot battery terminal to the proper relay terminal. Then run the output from the relay to your lights & ground the lights. The one draw back is that the lights will only work with there is power to the source. If you use an interior light as a source, then the lights will only work with the park or head lights are on. If you wire it to an ignition source, the lights will only work when the ignition is on. If you wire the switch hot off the battery, it will work whenever the switch is on.

I'd consider a relay that has dual outputs and a high amperage rating. I believe Hella sells's relays.

I would use a relay (or two).

Personally I would tap into a hot source (I've used interior lights in the last) and run that to a switch. Then ground the switch. Run a wire from the from the other prong on the switch to a relay. Ground the relay, and run a wire from the hot battery terminal to the proper relay terminal. Then run the output from the relay to your lights & ground the lights. The one draw back is that the lights will only work with there is power to the source. If you use an interior light as a source, then the lights will only work with the park or head lights are on. If you wire it to an ignition source, the lights will only work when the ignition is on. If you wire the switch hot off the battery, it will work whenever the switch is on.

I'd consider a relay that has dual outputs and a high amperage rating. I believe Hella sells's relays.

I was thinking something like that as well.

Any thoughts on just rerouting the stock fog light wiring? I've run 100w bulbs in those for years with no ill effects.

If you have factory fogs, then why not? Just chop the plugs and put the plugs you need for the hella's with any extra length to the harness.

I've heard of people melting the fog switch tho, so I dunno.

If you have factory fogs, then why not? Just chop the plugs and put the plugs you need for the hella's with any extra length to the harness.

I've heard of people melting the fog switch tho, so I dunno.

I think this is what I'll do. Running an extra harness seems kinda silly if one is already there AND it has a nice factory switch already inside.

Now that the haze of time is pulling back I'm remembering that the bulbs I installed in the stock fog lights are the exact same bulbs I just put in the Hella's, the H3 bulbs. Don't think I need to worry about melting the switch!

I've run 100 watts on my factory fog harness for about a year now with no horrible problems. After a while the switch does get warm to the touch, which means I shouldn't. I'm going to let it keep running that way till I build a relay harness for my headlights and fogs all at the same time though, since I'm looking at making it plug into the OEM headlight harness connector.

Use the OEM foglight wiring to trigger a relay for the fogs and you'll be all set, best of both worlds.

You can use the fog light switch to power the relay, or you can run a wire from your left side cigarette lighter to a switch to the relay. That way, when ignition is off, the Hellas are off.

Back