• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wires Wires Everywhere

sotrhRaven

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone rewired their jeep. My fuse block and the wires under the dash are a mess.:tear: Only one speaker works. The drivers window works fine two others kind of work and the last one not at all. The drivers and rear passenger electric locks work. The front passenger and rear drivers locks do not work. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

It is a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0 L6. Why the sigh. You know I have had good advice on a couple of posts. Nice friendly people. If this is too general or maybe a stupid question. Please let me know.

Ben:huh:

He sighed because countless times people post questions like this that vary greatly in the answers depending on the xj. Being a 93 it wouldn't be to hard to do just very time consuming. Best thing to do is get yourself an FSM if you don't already have one, pull the entire dash and harness out then start with one connector and go from there. I recently cut the dash in my 92 in half and removed all wiring that wasn't involved in ignition or gauges and I'd say I removed about 5 pounds of wiring and connectors alone.

93's aren't as much of a mess as the Renix ones, yet not as clean as the late models. The sigh was because so many people forget the most important info, what they're working on.

You could rewire the whole thing, but I'd start out by just putting it back to stock. Snip out all the added on crap and reassemble as-was and see how it works out. JMHO. :)

I'd get a new, unmolested wiring harness out of a junker. Spend the whole day tearing it down in the junkyard, the added plus is that you figure out how to get the whole dash and everything else apart without breaking things BEFORE you start working on your XJ.

Before I did anything, I'd pull the radio out and see if someone screwed with the factory wiring in the dash. If that's all good, I'd start checking the wiring bundle in the rubber boots between door jamb and doors (that's where my wires broke, and on my friend's jeep as well).

Ok ive actually been searching tonight for something very close to this. You mentioned to check the factory wiring. And i know in the past i've seen threads about the stereo wiring being wrong. Something about the power wire being red and another wire being red/ black. "or vise versa" And if the stereo is wired into the wrong one you will start having strange issues.

Does anyone know what wire is what? The weekend i got my jeep the wife surprised me with a new stereo. Best buy installed it and i need to see if its wrong???

You definately CAN rewire the whole thing. But it is WAY easier to trace your problems and just fix them. Basically, you have to strip out the whole vehicle to fit a new harness. They go in before anything else.

It is a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0 L6. Why the sigh. You know I have had good advice on a couple of posts. Nice friendly people. If this is too general or maybe a stupid question. Please let me know.

Ben:huh:

Nah Ben the sigh was a typical reply - to help someone with an issue, people need to know year, make, model as there are differences in build years.
Its like someone posting Help my Jeep won't start - with out knowing pertinent info how are we suppose to move forward with assistance.

The sigh is just a typical response to a typical question when someone omits important information.
Read the forums - Approximately 85% of the replies to initial posters are WHAT YEAR. WHAT MAKE, WHAT MODEL.....

It just gets old trying to assist a poster and having to ask the same old question on almost every request for assistance.
Year, Make, Model. hasta

Giving people another field to fill out, or a suggestion to read more, accomplishes nothing. Everyone still always assumes you'll know what they're asking about, or that their problem is somehow different than the 1500 guys who posted previously with the same issue. If they knew everything, they wouldn't need help in the first place. All part of it. No one's born an expert on XJs- we all start somewhere.

I'd get a new, unmolested wiring harness out of a junker. Spend the whole day tearing it down in the junkyard, the added plus is that you figure out how to get the whole dash and everything else apart without breaking things BEFORE you start working on your XJ.

I agree with kastein.

While re-wiring everything can be done, lord knows I have done a lot of vehicles, it really is doing things the hard way if you can get an original harness in good condition.

Back