• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got an NV242 from a 2004 WJ, questions (of course)

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

This seems to be a sparsely documented process, but I did find the following (brief) thread about it:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42262

I just got my 242 from a low-mileage 2004 WJ (4.0) and it's in pristine shape, so I'm pretty stoked going into this (apparently the seller wised up before I arrived, though, so I ended up shelling out $150). I have confirmed it has a 23-spline input (didn't count the output splines), so it should mate right up to my 2001's 4.0.

My question is this... In order to make it as direct a fit as possible, I would assume I need to do the following:

1) Locate the transfer case shift linkage from a 242-equipped XJ and install it on my T-case (at this time, the selector is a ~2" long piece of metal with a linkage nipple of sorts sticking off it). Is this correct, or will it be possible to adapt my 231 linkage? I assume not because of the different shift pattern (and additioanl mode), but would love input.

2) Supposedly the front output yoke *might* be different, but upon my examination of it I can't say whether or not this is the case. The following site doesn't seem to make mention of a special yoke for the WJ:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transfer-case/np-242-parts.htm

Of course this doesn't rule anything out, but it's at least food for thought. Worst case scenario, I should be able to source the proper yoke from my 231... right?

3) The receptacle/plug for the 4WD mode indicator switch was removed (as the guy selling it apparently needed it) - will this part be easy to track down and replace?

This is going to be one of the most involved projects of mine to date, so any input would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Campbell

Your linkage should work, but you would need a gate/bezel for the extra position. I do think that the newer ones don't have the speed sensor in the tailshaft housing like the XJ's should. I think that the WJ picked up speed from wheel sensors.

Bah, crap. I think you're absolutely correct on that one.

Pardon my ignorance, but what would be involved in changing the tailshaft housing to one that will accommodate a speed sensor? Would the tailshaft itself need to change?

... It could be as easy as finding the proper tailshaft housing. The tail shaft itself needs to have a gear on it for the speedo gear to engage. I don't know if the WJ 242's would still have the gear even though they didn't use it. Thats about all I know on the matter. But I know I found a WJ 242 that I'd like to swap just because it would have lower mileage than mine.

So, take the tailshaft housing off your 242 and see if there is a speedo gear in there. I don't know, maybe someone else does.

Gotcha. Based on the Jeep 4x4 Center link with the 242 diagram, it would seem that the tailshaft is the same for both the WJ and the XJ, however, it doesn't state that it applies to 2004 model WJ cases (only through 1999). I guess this means it's time to start taking the thing apart...

Now I now the similarities between the 242 and 231 are limited - is there any chance the tailshaft housing from my 231 will work on the 242?

*edit* I should've just taken some goddamn pictures... I'll take a closer look at the case this evening when I get home from work to see what's up.

Last edited:
Ha.

speedo.jpg

So it looks like I might be able to retrofit this tailhousing to accept a speedo sensor... I guess the next steps will involve removing the housing and verifying that the output shaft has the teeth to drive it. This is somewhat of a pleasant surprise.

Here's a pic of the selector arm and front drive shaft yoke - think I'll need to replace the front yoke?

yoke.jpg

linkage.jpg

Yes, the front drive shaft yoke will have to be swapped. Looks like you could open up the tail cone for the speedo. Clean up the sides of the hole though as, IIRC, that is where the sensor has o-rings to seal.

Thanks for the reply. I take it I can use the yoke from any XJ/ZJ 231 or 242?

In terms of modifying the tail cone, I'll undoubtedly take it to a machinist if I don't renew my TechShop membership ('cause I'm a lazy cheap bastard). This should be a fun project.

Well, I found an article discussing the teardown of the NV242 and the following picture inspired me to purchase a 5.25" reach gear puller for the job:

puller0.jpg

Unfortunately, this didn't go so well for me...

puller1.jpg

For some reason the slinger seems to be seized on the output shaft. Any tips on removing it without risking damage to the case itself?!

Check for the ever present snap rings that are always all over those cases. There are probably 4 just in removing the rear housing...

Yeah, no snap rings on this piece... Everything I've read refers to snap rings behind this (and behind the dust shield that follows), however, this piece seems to be held onto the shaft using nothing but friction based on everything I've read.

Has anyone else run into this while installing an HD SYE on their 231? I know this is a 242, but the tailshaft housing assembly is damn near identical.

Well, I found an article discussing the teardown of the NV242 and the following picture inspired me to purchase a 5.25" reach gear puller for the job:

puller0.jpg

Unfortunately, this didn't go so well for me...

puller1.jpg

For some reason the slinger seems to be seized on the output shaft. Any tips on removing it without risking damage to the case itself?!

Thats funny as hell,it takes like 2 seconds to take the dust shield off(no special tools required)!

So did it work modifying the tail housing or did you use the np231 tailshaft for it, unfortunately i have the same problem and have the exact questions. thanks

Back