• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine swap comfirmation

88xjand96

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered because I have searched. Here is the deal--

I have an 88xj 4.0 renix, I just bought a 92xj 4.0 ho. the 92 has a bad engine the 88 engine has 6500 miles since rebuild. I want to put the 4.0 block and head out of the 88 into the 92, reusing the 92 header, intake, and mechanical devices.

So far this does not seem to be a problem, in my search I have found out the following,

I have to use the 92 electronics, IE: tps, map, cts, mat, o2 and distributor to match the 92's computer.

Do I need to the swap the flywheels and CPS, or just leave the flywheel on the 88 4.0 and reuse the 92 CPS?

EVERYTHING electronic must be from the same model year for it to be timed correctly for the EFI. So, yes the flywheel must match the CPS, if you compare them, they're way different looking.

What's wrong with the 88 that you want to swap the motor to the 92?

the body is pretty bad, needs a new front clip, and the interior needs redone.
the 92 has good interior and the bady is is great shape, saving myself a lot of work by simply swaping engines.

Based upon the work involved with swapping motors, I would think swapping the front clip & interior is easier. (I swapped the 93 interior into my 89 at the same time I swapped the motor.) The only thing you'd have to do then is paint it..

Back