• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not sure what 5-spd i have

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
so my dad bought me an '88 MJ a lil over year and a half ago for my b-day that he got for $500 bucks. its got the 4.0l, 5-spd, and 4x4. well he surprised me with it so i wasnt there when he talked to the guy he bought it from. all i could get out of my dad on what the guy said wass the he replaced the tranny well i dont know if he did an exact '88 swap or just went to the junk yard and pulled any old jeep 5-spd out and tossed it in there. so my question is how can i tell what 5-spd it is? im hopin its still the old peugot cuz this tranny is a POS and if it turns out to be the ax-15 that will ruin my expectations for that tranny.

get underneath and look at the trans case, if it looks like it bolts together down the centerline like, say a suitcase, or an old aircooled vw block, then it's the peugeot.

Back