• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump recommendations...

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
got a 00' xj 4.0 bone stock 130k. that is encountering low oil press and lifter clatter on cold start up. would a stock type oil pump from napa or the similar work or is something better suggested? hv or hp? I know it could be the lifters too, but the clatter started later than the low oil press and is easier to change the pump than the lifters so ill roll the dice.

Almost hate to ask, but what brand of oil filter are you using?

napa gold, i tried another brand maybe mobile one (it was on sale dirt cheap) no difference between the two, oil press that is. oil press is a problem after it has warmed up. about 40-50 idle cold 10-15 warmed up, and 40-50 highway cold with 20-25 warmed up at highway. lifter clatter is less of a worry, oil pump and bearing inspection is in order first. if clatter persists then Ill tackle the lifters

napa gold, i tried another brand maybe mobile one (it was on sale dirt cheap) no difference between the two, oil press that is. oil press is a problem after it has warmed up. about 40-50 idle cold 10-15 warmed up, and 40-50 highway cold with 20-25 warmed up at highway. lifter clatter is less of a worry, oil pump and bearing inspection is in order first. if clatter persists then Ill tackle the lifters

10 psi per 1000 rpm is minimum, and you are hanging right there.

Could be the pump, lowering the pan and putting one in is straightforward.

You are using a good filter, so no problem there.

I guess that is what I would do, drop the pan and change out the pump and filter, but I would use a mechanical gauge to verify pressures first, although the clatter indicates low.

If you pull the pan, re-torque the rod and main caps while you are in there.

agree 10 psi per 1k, for the highway it cruises around 2200 and blasts from 3-4k specially under long hauls in the mountains at 70+mph is what concerns me the most. 20-25 sometimes 30 when the oil isnt real hot yet is what i see in those conditions. i believe the book calls for around 40 psi above 2k.

ive tried a new sending unit and hooked up a mechanical gauge under the hood so only know idle or no load conditions, but that limited testing along with the lifter clatter leads me to oil pump. pan needs pulled for a gasket change so cheap insurance even if it isnt root cause. ive heard these 4.0's are know for shitty factory pumps going south. as for the pump any recommendations brand or type?

I generally go with NAPA, avoid off-brand and store-brands.

oh and thanks for the reminder on torquing mains and caps, was actually gonna pull a couple to inspect bearings while im in there to ease worries of my laziness causing premature wear.

oh and the clatter goes away after a few seconds usually no more than about 5 seconds worse case. press does pop up on gauge almost right away, so I havent ruled out lifters leaking down over night. first thought was filter. not sure what else would cause the clatter.

Have you had any coolant loss,small top offs on a regular basis,no known leaks ? Could be the "cracked head" got another one. Anti-freeze diluted the oil and over time it slowly ate the bearings. Now you have low oil pressure.
Pull a cap and check your bearing condition.
My 96 has over 300K still on the stock pump & bearings-oil pressure is still by the book.

Wayne

And you are using the recommended wt oil ? correct ?

Wayne

Well I'm using 10-40 in the summer 10-30 in the winter. I do have to top off the coolant about once a month, Is this excessive? Where do the heads crack at? The oil never appears to be contaminated nor the coolant. Course if it's a small leak then it would be hard to tell for sure.

You can run a pan dry with a hv pump, that is unless your running extra oil in which case a bigger pan and or a windage tray is in order.

Stock pump is fine, if your bearings are OK,The oil wt you are using is correct.
IIRC the crack can be seen by removing the oil fill cap and inspecting the head under it.
Search for the correct answer,it has happened a lot,and I have not followed all threads.

Wayne

Curious, why? Are upgraded pumps not worth the $$ or might they cause other problems?
thnx, dn
Generally speaking they cause oil to accumilate in the head becasue the oil passages are not modified. That is what I was told localy when questioning about it with an engine builder.

Back