• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" Ride Quality

97stomper

NAXJA Forum User
I know that this kit seems to net 4+", but I also have seen that the front coils are pretty stiff compared to others....

I want to hear from those running this setup....What do you think of the ride?

Thanks,

Rob

When I first put my RE 3.5 w/leaf packs on it rode like a friggin' dumptruck! After a few hundred miles, it's softening a bit and is starting to feel normal again with everything breaking in nicely. One thing that I read on here help a LOT, and that is to make sure you can easily turn the spring shackle bolts by hand. I had mine tightened down way too much at first and nothing was moving back there.

I may go to LA's in the future, but am sinking $$ into multiple projects that must be done first.

I have about 200 miles on mine:
It netted me 4" front and 5.5" rear and my factory suspension was right at factory specs, 17" front and 17.5" rear.
The rear looks alittle like a jack rabbit, I will add some weight to it and see if it settles abit.
It is noticably stiffer than Stock and rides noticable rougher, not bad but
I was hoping it would ride nicer. I am running Doetsch Baja Rider shocks.

My RE lift is about 2 year old I am guessing and it ride pretty damn rough still! The Bilstein 5100's made a huge difference over the DT3000's that were blown!

The RE3.5 springs are designed for a built-up XJ's weight and height so they are definitely stiffer than stock but they aren't going to be rock hard. Shocks are going to make the biggest difference on ride quality. I've got the JK Rubicon shocks with BPEs on mine and it's not harsh at all, in fact the front end is kind of bouncy

I ran the 3.5" with aftermarket bumpers, tire carrier and winch and netted right at 3.5. Ride quality varied quite a bit with shock choice. The Pro-comp stuff sucked, Doetsch were better, by the time I went to Old Man Emu, I was on Long Arms. Spend the money on quality shocks like OME or Bilstein.

I ran the RE 3.5" on my 98 for awhile with Pro Comp shocks and the ride was great, better than stock. I thought it was an excellent kit.

I agree that RE makes excellent kits as well but, by the time you are netting around 3.5 - 4.5 you are right at the Drop Brackets or Long Arms decision point. Your control arm angles and steering geometry are pushed to the limit. Short arms at that angle will be harsh.

I maintain more Jeeps at home than I can count. I've driven an XJ with a 3.5" lift on Pro-Comp shocks and a stock XJ on fresh Monroes in the same day routinely. While the kit does feel more stable than an XJ with a worn out suspension, it will not "ride better than stock."

Tolerance for ride quality varies a lot between people. While spring rate can't be discounted, I believe most people will agree that steep control arm angles and cheap shocks are the biggest issue for most rigs.

^^^ Agree about the short arm angle. I'm at at least 4.5" (no heavy bumpers or anything yet) with OME shocks and the ride is pretty decent EXCEPT when I hit any kind of sharp bump like freeway expansion joints, potholes, etc...it tranmits very noticably through the unibody because of the LCA angle. Gotta get some drop brackets.

The RE 3.5 is awesome.
Get the Old man Emu's, and it will ride great.
Like others have said, for a srock rig with no bumpers, it rides pretty harshly.
Mine looked like this when it was new.

yosemite050.jpg

yay029.jpg

Looks pretty awesome, but was a little harsh. Now i have bumpers front and rear with a full size spare, and it's a whole lot smoother, and responsive. I added a comanche shackle out back to deal with the bumper, and for travel with lots of weight.

Septemberjeepshots009.jpg

I have about 20,000 miles on a RE Super Flex..

While it is not stock.... It is really quite good. To and from the trails on the freeway is good. It does feel heavy on a good washboard type of road at speed.

After all it is a Jeep not a Cadillac so do not expect it to ride like one.

Thanks guys for all your honest feedback. It really helps to confirm which direction I want to go.

Have you considered the OME kit? Everything I've read about the OME kit seems to suggest it rides like a caddy. DPG Offroad (NAXJA sponsor) sells it w/spacers, giving you 3". Maybe look into that for smoother ride... just a thought.

http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm

When I first put my RE 3.5 w/leaf packs on it rode like a friggin' dumptruck! After a few hundred miles, it's softening a bit and is starting to feel normal again with everything breaking in nicely. One thing that I read on here help a LOT, and that is to make sure you can easily turn the spring shackle bolts by hand. I had mine tightened down way too much at first and nothing was moving back there.

I may go to LA's in the future, but am sinking $$ into multiple projects that must be done first.

am i the only thinking thats way too loose?

I tried the RE 3.5" leaves and was not happy with how stiff the ride was. After a couple thousand miles, I removed the thick (5/16") main leaf and replaced it with a stock XJ main leaf (1/4").
I lost a 1/2" of lift but my back was much happier.
Adding another shorter leaf in the pack brought it back to the desired height without the harsh ride.
Eventually, I took the entire pack apart and lined the leaves with 2 1/2" wide full-length plastic liners from Eaton Spring for the smoothest ride possible.

Back