• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rugged Ridge or any Crossover Steering

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching, but I can't seem to find results with the information I'm looking for, namely pros & cons of this system (or similar). I have upgrade on the brain, and I recently asked about beefy steering in another thread. Altho I got some excellent suggestions, I didn't see crossover steering mentioned. In fact I don't hear much about it anywhere ... I'm sure there's a reason because it's very affordable. It doesn't have to be that brand, but does anyone have any strong opinions, experience, thoughts about Crossover steering? I really need my steering fixed, but I wanna have it done once. Budget constraints are a factor in my choice especially since I might have to get a new gear box as well.
Symptoms: vague steering, nasty bump steer, large dead spot and every time I take the Jeep off pavement - not necessarily wheeling, just irregular terrain - it gets worse.

Thanks for ideas!

I would advise crossover steering but bear in mind that you may need to make some changes to use it. The advantage is no change in toe with suspension compression. Also you can use stronger heim joints on the ends of the rods. The disadvantage is you most likely will need to do some minor mods (like trimming the coil buckets).

I would advise crossover steering but bear in mind that you may need to make some changes to use it. The advantage is no change in toe with suspension compression. Also you can use stronger heim joints on the ends of the rods. The disadvantage is you most likely will need to do some minor mods (like trimming the coil buckets).

and move your sway bar links(if you have them), and you will end up with bump steer due to the draglink being 4-5" longer than your tracbar (which you can resolve by relocating the lower (or upper as wrenchmonkey showed) tracbar link and making a custom tracbar). but other than that, its cake.

i have the heim crossover setup, and am currently working on a knuckle adapter for the draglink.

sample:
knuckle1.jpg

knuckle2.jpg

knuckle3.jpg

little late but heres a little write-u[p I did for my local site:
I just wanted to share my experience with rugged ridge steering setup for my xj: http://www.omix-ada.com/jeep-parts/p...temNo=18050.82

At first install it seemed beefy and strong, but Immediately noticed some wandering. I had an alignment done, same darn thing, like a drunk weavin down the road. I had play from about the 11o'clock to 1 o'clock steering wheel position. Had a buddy work the steering while I had a look underneath to see what was going on. The tie rod that goes from wheel to wheel flops like a dead fish!! I contribute that to the connector tie rod being bent so the system clears the sway bar link mount on the axle. Did some research and found out this is "Normal" and more "pronounced" on vehicles over 4.5" lift. About the only way I found to temporarily cure this is to install a spacer between the tie rod and knuckle on the passenger side. I used plastic cutting bored 1/2" thick and used a hole saw to cut them out. I cut 4 or five to replace them as they wear out. Mild wheeling I'd get 4-5 trips out of a spacer, If I'm playing on the rocks I'd kill a spacer that day. I got about a year out of the tie rod ends, they are all worn out, 2 weeks to get, the only one that can be purchased through normal channels is a es3096l, they others are only available through rugged ridge or a distributor.New ends took 2 weeks to get. Way too long if you are broken or unsafe for the road. I have finally decided to ditch the setup.

Pros:
-beefy tie rod, thick, will support weight of the front of an xj
-steering feels more stable offroad
-relatively well priced kit
-easy bolt on installation

Cons:
- To much "dead spot" in steering,feel like a drunk trying to drive down the road
- Proprietor tie rod ends- means you cant go to lordco or napa for replacements. I sourced mine through tyler at national
- accelerated wear of all tie rod ends due to flop caused be tie rod roll
- You have to start steering before every corner ( my gf called it Pre-steer, she found it odd I start to turn when we are still going straight before we hit a corner)

I just ordered an Iron rock Offroad -Over the knuckle heim kit with 5/8 bolt upgrade. I'm hoping this is a little better. At least I can buy new heims for it!!
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=XST

I hope this is the end of it!!

Yeah ... thanks for the info. This is similar to what I have discovered reading more about it. My steering has a lot of slop right now, no sense in spending the $ to end up with the same problem.

I started out looking at IRO - I guess I'll keep looking at them.

Back