• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

old style dome light

colby44

NAXJA Forum User
hello, i have a 89 Cherokee and have the standard rectangular dome light. i went to the junkyard today and found a jeep with a similar dome light only that it has reading lights. My question is will it fit into the place of my current dome light, and would i need to rewire it?

It'll fit great and the wiring is 100% compatible, I had one of those stuck in there till I started working on putting an OHC in

Oh, another thing - the little push-nuts holding it to the mounting posts are reusable if you are VERY careful pulling them off - pull gently and twist back and forth. Then use a pair of pliers to carefully flatten them out most of the way. You can reuse them 3-4 times if you are careful and also don't manage to drop the blasted things into oblivion while trying to install them.

I did the same swap for my 94.

The new light slipped right in place with no modifications. Even though they weren't included, the jeep was wired for the map lights, and the connector clicked right into place.

Piece of cake.

Does anyone know what years (if any) the brackets for the dome lights changed? My 97 has the older style lights, and my parts 98 has the newer style. I'd like to use the newer style lights.

Back