• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ticking.

Pen_Two

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed this noise before, but I kind of ignored it because at the time it started...I was jobless. Now that I have income and a steady job, I want to figure this out.

It seems to be when it's cold out or damp out. I can get it up to normal operating temperature and the noise will go away, but if I shut it off and turn it right back on...the noise comes back. It literally goes "Tick tick tick tick tick" with pauses in between them. So roughly one tick per second at idle. It increases with the RPM if the throttle is applied, so it gets faster.

Does this just sound like a lifter issue? I've tried everything I could think of just shy of taking the valve cover off.

It's a 2001 XJ, 4x4, auto, and has just under 232k miles on it.

Also, when it's first started after sitting over night or when I leave work...the motor "sounds" loud. Not the exhaust tones and such, but it sounds like the bottom end of the motor makes more noise than an engine should. I know I've read that they, at some point, sound like a diesel engine, but I'm not really sure that's what this noise is.

I have a pitch black "video" of the second noise I'm asking about that my phone took, just so I could attempt to get the noise. It's hard to hear since my phone sucks for capturing audio. The noise is loudest if you stand on the drivers side.

I'll put the audio up once youtube finishes processing my upload.

Its probably the purge valve!

Sounds more like a piston IMHO. Too bad you can't easily cancel spark on an 01. I guess you could disconnect injectors one at a time, wait a few seconds on each before reconnecting and moving on down the row. Be prepared for instant check engine light doing this, though.

You were right, the audio isn't the greatest. But from here it sounds like a loose or broken piston. The usual check is to cancel spark and listen for a change, as taking some of the load off the piston changes the sound.

You could also use a stethoscope along the block.

I did some reading after piston slap was first suggested, I noticed mixed opinions. One would say not to worry about it too much, and another would say that it's operating on borrowed time.

Should I take this as a hint to start rebuilding a reserve engine...or not worry too much.

That's not slap, it's chitty-chitty-bang-bang. I could be off base, though, different mikes amplify different frequencies. But from the overall 'warble' characteristic of the noise it really does sound like a piston. Lifters for example give a single sharp, loud tick, not a rattle.
Can you move a stethoscope or long handled screwdriver held to your ear around and pinpoint it?

Broken piston skirts can be easily seen with the pan off..

Won't help much but my 2001 sounded the same exact way. I was told it's either the lifters or simply carbon build up at the top of the pistons.

If the skirts were broken, wouldn't I have found some type of chunk or shavings in the oil I drain out for the oil change? I'll probably drop the pan this weekend even though I just changed the oil about 3 weeks ago. I'll try the exceptionally long screw driver method before I drop the pan though.

If a piston were screwed up...wouldn't I have some form of power loss? The thing accelerates and pulls just like other XJ's I've ridden in.

I'm just trying to get the answers before I start crapping bricks.

Exactly, I don't really want to have somebody tearing down their engine based on an over the internet sound bite. I'd be a lot more comfortable hearing it in person but that's not gonna happen.

I'll look into that. The water pump and thermostat are two of the few things I haven't replaced yet.
Easy test remove the belt and see if it dissapears..Mine did..The pump that was on mine was a rebuild and less than 1 yr old..If it is bad buy a new one if you can..If it makes you feel any better the top end of my 4.0 sounds like a volkswagon deisel engine..Just turn up the radio and keep driving..

Last edited:
Back