• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission question?

Reclipse

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I have searched, but a quickquestion. I have an 87 cherokee 4.0 automatic, not sure what transmission I have or trans case.

The question is, does the trans use a vacuum line to assist or is completely electronic? I do not have the vacuum lines coming upthe passenger firewall, so maube it got swapped out. But my main question is if it uses vacuum to the tranny, where does it connect on the engine? Im only wondering if my smoking problem might be the burning of tranny fluid in the combustion chamber, but I am not sure if itseven possible in the vehicles. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Check your air filter--is it oil soaked?

You might have a clogged CCV system and that will lead to smoking.

Also, check your transmission cooler lines and make sure the transmission itself is not overfilled. Even a slight overfill will usually result in trans fluid being puked up and out of the dipstick tube, and when it hits the exhaust you will see smoke too.

Air filter is clean, ccv system very functional, and the smoke is coming out of the tail pipe, 100% certain, grey smoke everything test fine, except O2(have not tested yet). In the process of redoing batt cables, replacing the braided one, Im just at a loss why it smoke all the time. Guess Ill keep plugging away.

Its black soot, temp sensor tested within parameters, I did get a jump at one point, it went from around the 600 range going down, then all of a sudden jumped up to 800, then jumped just as fast back down to the 600 range. I could have moved my hand just enough to lose connection for a sec, its going to get changed. The ground on my TPS tested at 6ohms, I believe, it didnt test at 0, but all my grounds tested the same way as the TPS. Thats why Im hoping its just very poor grounding.

I think I'd do a compression test on it.

"Gray" smoke is pretty close to blue smoke. You could be blowing oil past the rings in just one cylinder, or leaking valve stem guides...a compression test might indicate issues there.

Tranny fluid would have to go the long way around before it ever got to your cylinders.

A compression test is always a good idea.

compression is 150 across, valve stem seals just replaced. The black soot is the same on all six plugs.

Then it is either sensors or injectors.

If you still have the original two-piece injectors get rid of them quick--they are nothing but matchsticks for an XJ BBQ.

Do a search for Mustang or Ford injectors.

Be sure and run the tests on the sensors at the link I posted earlier.

Well my fuel pressure is 32 w vacuum and 39 w/o vacuum. It is definitely fuel burning, you really can smell it. I guess after the grounding, that may be the next thing I check. Its just frustrating changing something that is bad, then another thing goes out, but I guess thats the excitement on having an older vehicle. Any tricks to find out if the injector is putting too much in the cylinder?

Get the Ford orange-top 19 lbs injectors, you can get them at any salvage yard for about $30 a set, they were used in Fords from the 3.8 L and up, even in V8s in the F350 vans.

Most refer to them as Mustang injectors. PRO: use the Ford o-rings, they have four nozzles instead of one pintle, one-piece bodies that don't leak, and way cheaper than buying new. CON: NONE!

Back