• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washington ORV Permit

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone here heard about these or have one?

I had never heard of a Washington ORV Permit before, but it was brought to my attention that around Naches and Liberty they are cracking down on having them. I guess it's $50 at the DMV, and they dual register your vehicle for on road and off road use. You then get a little 4x2" sticker with a license number.

I saw several of these this past weekend, and was curious if anyone here has one. When the trail system is established in the Yacolt Burn, the DNR has stated that these permits will be required for any vehicle using the trail system.

You Oregon guys are covered in WA by your OR ORV permit.

I think they are refering to the Forrest Pass used for Nation Forrest land. We usually stop at a local store and pick up the day pass or a yearly pass. Naches only require the pass for maintained camping areas, so there are still many areas where you can camp and not be required to get a pass.

I think they are refering to the Forrest Pass used for Nation Forrest land. We usually stop at a local store and pick up the day pass or a yearly pass. Naches only require the pass for maintained camping areas, so there are still many areas where you can camp and not be required to get a pass.

I don't think that he's referring to that. He is referring to an OHV/ORV permit which most states require. In Oregon, you need it to be in the sand dunes, BLM trails, and other like areas (pretty much any area you can legally offroad). It's actually amazing how so many people don't actually realize that they need them.

I know that in Oregon, the $10 permit is about 10x cheaper than the ticket!!

I guess it's $50 at the DMV, and they dual register your vehicle for on road and off road use. You then get a little 4x2" sticker with a license number.

I think they are refering to the Forrest Pass used for Nation Forrest land.

Nope this is purchased from the DMV annualy, and dual registers your vehicle for on road and off road use in Washington.

I originally thought the NW Forest Pass was kinda like the Washington version of the Oregon ORV Permit. I always heard that the Forest Pass is required for places like Evans, but then I got wind of this WA ORV Permit.

Now I'm kind of curious about it.

So it sounds like they only apply to ATV use?

I'm going to have to disagree on that one. Unless you Jeep isn't street legal and not licensed.

When I registered the jeep as an ORV, the lady behind the counter informed me that even street registered vehicles were suposed to have the ORV tag - I asked if I would need a tag to wheel my tow rig (incase I ever did) and she said yes.

When I asked if I needed one to be parked in a national forest, she said no.

I didnt get one, 'cuse I figured that I'd never need it.

But your beast isn't street legal right, so you registered it for off-road use?

When I registered the jeep as an ORV, the lady behind the counter informed me that even street registered vehicles were suposed to have the ORV tag - I asked if I would need a tag to wheel my tow rig (incase I ever did) and she said yes.

When I asked if I needed one to be parked in a national forest, she said no.

I didnt get one, 'cuse I figured that I'd never need it.

Thanks Opie, that's basically what I was told too. Even street legal 4x4's need the permit to be legal off road. Which brings up the question, how come so few people have them?

The NW Forest Pass is what comes into play when parked within a national forest.

Hmm, I don't know of one person that has one for Washington (well, except for you, Bryan).

RCW 46.09.020 Definitions said:
(13) "Off-road vehicle" or "ORV" means any nonstreet licensed vehicle when used for recreational purposes on nonhighway roads, trails, or a variety of other natural terrain. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, all-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, four-wheel drive vehicles, and dune buggies.

I'm gonna have to say I'm not the least bit concerned.

I think so few people have these because they are just starting to push them on 4x4's. I just had to get one for my bike this year so i'm guessing they are doing it in stages.

The real question is what are they going to do with the extra funds generated from these permits? Give it away like they did with all the NOVA funds this year.

The NW Forest Pass is what comes into play when parked within a national forest.

Note that you do not need a pass to park/drive in a national forest. You only need the pass at designated trail heads/day use areas, and only when posted. This pass will (should) only be required at spots with amenities (bathroom, picnin table, etc.). That's why you'll see a crappy lone picnic table at an out-of-the-way hiking trailhead, so they can enforce the pass.

I skipped over most of this after I saw all the SPOBI floating around. When you have a ORV permit on your vehicle it is NOT street legal. IE You don't need to do emissions or have a license plate. HOWEVER!! IT IS ONLY FOR TRAIL USE!! You need a trailer, towrig, yada yada. This is great and all for a trail rig....except the cops still ticket you on forest service roads. Again, they ticket you on forest service roads. We got bitched at up in Evans in the campground. Our vehicles weren't on the trailers at our site. They were parked NEXT to the trailers. This is truly a bad idea for anyone considering this. We had to rebel run from the campground to a trail. We got bitched at when we went from campground to even 520 just across the street. Needless to say to avoid the hassle we just went back to license plates. This is a horrible idea, IMHO.

Paul you are right on the button. You can not have a rig with ORV and street tags at the same time.

So what you're saying is that if I buy an ORV tag for my current Jeep (Street Legal) that just sticking that tag on my Jeep it makes it "Street Illegal"???

Weird!

In Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Carolina, you can have BOTH, and in a lot of places, BOTH Registrations are necessary to access some trails. (Street legal to get from trailer to trailhead where there is no parking, and ORV reg. to drive the trail) Legally, you cannot drive the trail without BOTH tags.

I don't have time to read right now, but will make it a point (tonight hopefully) of checking out the links to the laws someone posted earlier. (THANKS to whomever did that)

Back