• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery Part

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I'm not positive this came off of my Jeep. I found it on the ground under the floorboard on the rear driver's seat. It had grease on it and was pretty clean.

Unknown_Gear_01_800x600.sized.jpg

Gear Face:
Unknown_Gear_02_800x600.sized.jpg

Anyone ever seen anything like this on a Jeep?

Everything still work on your Jeep? LOL! I can't recognize that actual gear, but I would throw that in that coffee can in the shop where all those other extra parts end up, at least you'll know where it is if one of your wheels falls off.... LOL

lol anyone ever bring over random bolts / parts to a friends house while their working on their jeep and toss them in the mess just to see the look on their face when they have bolts left over after the works done? or better yet the look on your face when all the bolts were used lol

Thanks guys, I was worried this was out of the transmission, transfer case, or steering.

Luckily, this is a parts XJ that I'm stripping. I feel alittle better if nobody recognizes it. I'll throw it in a drawer on my work bench just to be safe.

Thanks guys.

Looks like a tranny gear or valvetrain gear, so if you aren't leaking massive amounts of oil and it still runs I'd bet you're safe

Wierd, I posted a reply to this thread about an hour ago.

A few things to check. Do you have electric seats? Seat belt tension lock in the b-pillar. Ratchet lock on e-brake handle.

Hey guys, I was laying in bed last night and think I figured out what the gear is from. I'm about 90% positive it is the gear for a power window motor. I'm basing this on where the gear was found, how clean it was, and the fact that I gutted the rear doors awhile back to get the tinted glass out.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Hey guys, I was laying in bed last night and think I figured out what the gear is from. I'm about 90% positive it is the gear for a power window motor. I'm basing this on where the gear was found, how clean it was, and the fact that I gutted the rear doors awhile back to get the tinted glass out.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Glad to hear you figured it out (or close enough :)) I was reading through and was going to ask about power seats/power windows etc.

The cut of the gear indicates that it only turns one direction
Looks more like it's intended to mesh with a worm gear to me - so it coming from a power window motor gearbox makes a lot of sense.

Glad you figured it out.

Looks more like it's intended to mesh with a worm gear to me - so it coming from a power window motor gearbox makes a lot of sense.

Glad you figured it out.

There is a worm gear inside a tube that actually moves the window. That's what made me think about it based on how the teeth were curved.

The white grease on it means it is probably out of the door. X2 on the cut of the gears, although I don't have any personal experience with window motors. I get to crank mine! Call it a cardio workout.

Yup, looks like the gear inside the window regulator that spins the cable, moving the window up and down.

Mine fell out when I was doing the 'cotter pin fix' and it took me a min to figure out why the window wouldnt move.

Back