• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front and rear different ratios for a short time?

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
just put in a new rear d44 that has 4.56 ratio, is it ok to leave the front diff with 3.55 till i change it over in 2 weeks?

i left the front drive shaft in, thinking all will be ok as long as i dont put it in 4wd

should be fine, but i strongly advise you to remove the front drive shaft for piece of mind.

if it have the full time 4wd, i would say you will need to drive in 4wd part time so the power will be going to the rear without spinning the front yoke in 4wd full time

i has been driving my blazer with 4.56 gears and 3.73 in front with no driveshaft for months now, no ill of doing that beside no 4x4. just drive it as its a prerunner instead lol

i would take the front driveshaft out for sure. different spinning DS in meeting at the TC would not a pretty sight especially on pavement going 40mph

Yes, remove the front driveshaft until you get the front re-geared. If you forget or somehow accidentally put it in 4wd and drive it, you'll be really sorry. Free insurance, just pull the shaft out.

You dont need to pull the driveshaft.
Nothing will get damaged as long as you dont put in 4 wheel drive.
If you need that peace of mind, go ahead and pull it out.

Come on, is removing the driveshaft, which involves hours of spraying PB blaster, busting bolts, bleeding knuckles, etc, really necessary because he "might forget" and put it in 4WD? Talk about overkill. Presumably since he won't have 4WD capability, he won't be offroading, so where's the risk? Never once have I been driving along the street and said "I do believe I will use part time 4WD today"

Leave well enough alone, leave the driveshaft, don't offroad, don't put it in 4WD. Duct tape the lever down if you really want peace of mind.

Last edited:
100% not needed, ive been running a 4.56 d44 for literally 2 years with a 3.55 d30.

YES, i move slow, but who needs 4x4?

i actually used blue painters tape (duct tape leaves nasty sticky residue, not that 2 year old blue tape doesnt, but duct tape is nasty!)

Come on, is removing the driveshaft, which involves hours of spraying PB blaster, busting bolts, bleeding knuckles, etc, really necessary because he "might forget" and put it in 4WD? Talk about overkill. Presumably since he won't have 4WD capability, he won't be offroading, so where's the risk? Never once have I been driving along the street and said "I do believe I will use part time 4WD today"

Leave well enough alone, leave the driveshaft, don't offroad, don't put it in 4WD. Duct tape the lever down if you really want peace of mind.

I can have a driveshaft out in about 20 minutes. It'd be worth it to me. You're right in that it won't harm anything as long as he doesn't engage 4WD.

I was throwing in time to drink a beer there too. ;)

If I'm on my big creeper, I'll have 2 beers and a nap before I even attempt to work on something. :D

I to am running two different gears for right now and for safety measure I removed my front driveshaft. I just didnt want to urge to pop it in 4WD and kiss my transfer case good bye!! Take's about 20 mins and a neck cramp but its worth it!!

i took mine out cuz i wanted to go wheelin (3.55 front 4.88 rear) basically without the front driveshaft i put it in 4lo acted like a 2lo setup lol

I drove mine with 4.88s in my D30 and stock 3.55s in the rear for a week, before installing the D44 with matching 4.88s. Left the front shaft in, even played in the dirt, I just didn't put it in 4wd. Easy thing to remember.

If you know you CAN remove it with NO issues, and you WILL need it removed in 2 weeks to do the front gears. . . Why debate leaving it in?

Besides if it needs u-joints, it gives you plenty of time to deal with them.

it's a 5min job... 5/16 ratcheting box wrench for the CV end (ratchet+socket won't fit between the oil slinger/dirt shield and the CV yoke, believe me, you will want a ratcheting box wrench), 5/16 deep socket for the axle end. Not even worth debating just do it.

Back