• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear detroit noise?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay folks, I just got back from the shop after having my gears redone and a detroit put in. The NEW specs of my rig are as follows:

97' Cherokee Sport
D30 front - 4.56 Gears
D44 rear - 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker
AX-15 5spd and the np231 with AA SYE
31x10.5 r 15 BFG ATs

Now, I understand that lockers make noise. I heard/felt numerous times a "clunk" that came from the rear of the jeep as I let on/off the gas

However, there was twice that I heard a different kind of noise coming from the rear. There was a very loud metallic clang bang sproing noise that came from the rear as well. This only occurred twice and followed by a slight jerk forward, and damn did it scare the poo out of me. When I got back he mentioned that he found one of my e-brake brackets for the D44 (drivers side) was in fact broken. I had noticed my e-brake not working earlier in the week.

Now, I want to know... Do people think that the noise is related to the locker? or brakes. What kind of noises does your Detroit SoftLocker make (spell it out the most phonetic way you can).

Mine was kinda like a "BUH-CLANGang"

My rear Detroit almost never makes a sound. It has only done it twice in 2 years and when it happens it sounds like BANG! Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Going to check the oil tomorrow when its light out. Im thinking part of it may be the gearing/tire combo along with the locker. Extra torque?

Make sure your tires are the same pressure. Different tire pressures will cause it to make horrendous noises.

Yeah, check your pressure, but that noise isnt totally abnormal. that happens when one rear axle is loaded up more than the other, and it unlocks. different tire pressure, stopping immediatly after a corner, etc.

No noises here with 4.88's!

Detroits are notorious for the unloading bang. It tends to be worse when new and then fades. It used to scare the crap out of the wife.

mine does it almost every time i drive it, i love scaring the ol ladyies at the mall with it:rof:

Detroits are notorious for the unloading bang. It tends to be worse when new and then fades. It used to scare the crap out of the wife.

x2. I've had mine for about 3-4 years now and when it was new it did it a few times. Probably happened about 3 to 5 times, all within the first 6 months or so. It's very loud but is supposed to be normal and will usually go away.

Back