• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting to 4x4

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 cherokee sport with a rubicon express lift, but its only 2wd and i want to convert it to 4x4.
I was wondering if all i needed was a np231 transfer case and then of course the front and rear drive shafts?
and would i have to get a new tranny? :dunno: or will my 2wd tranny accept the transfer case? and i already have all the linkages for it and the dana30 front axle.

Please help me out i want to get this thing to 4x4 asap!

You will have to either pull some stuff off the back of your tranny and put some 4wd stuff on it (tailhousing is different) or swap out the tailshaft and the other stuff, I don't quite know - too much of a transmission idiot right now. Also, you're going to have to add the linkages and shifter lever and stuff for the transfer case - I believe you can just cut out the opening in the 2wd center console and put the shifter+shift gate+bezel in but I may be wrong. Also, you will of course need a front axle since the 2wd models have a straight beam with no diff.

You may also need a different transmission crossmember but I am unsure. I'll have to look in the parts catalog and update this post.

EDIT: there appears to just be an opening that is covered up for the transfer case lever on the 97+ center console. Still looking for crossmember info.

EDIT2: same crossmember will be fine.

Last edited:
thanks a lot man and i already have the linkage and the front axle i just need the front and rear drive shafts and the transfer case, hopefully. let me know if you can and once again thanks for the help!

You will need a late model 231 Becouse of the speedo out put. Someone also make a adaptor but but it would be cheaper just to start with th right 231.
Your trany, I would say is low milage and if not slipping now would be smart to switch over for 4WD use. Then to drop in some old tired trany. IMO anyway.
If you intend to wheel hard I would start with a 8.25 not hard to find or to prices. Also regear now it;s general cheeper with the difs pulled.
LUCK

You have to disassemble the entire tranny to do a 4WD conversion.

Thanks for clarifying that... I wasn't sure when I wrote my post. RCP - this is because you need to swap the tailshaft out, correct?

I say buy a new transmission with 4wd for $100-200 at your local friendly you-pull-it.

k sweet man thanks a lot i cant wait to get this done i just bought it 3 nights ago and already taken it out twice...

Thanks for clarifying that... I wasn't sure when I wrote my post. RCP - this is because you need to swap the tailshaft out, correct?

I say buy a new transmission with 4wd for $100-200 at your local friendly you-pull-it.

Thats correct, and its the last piece to come out upon dis-assembly!Just got done doing the same thing on a 4L60E.

Back