• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 intake with apn headers on a 96

bigdelt69

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, im about to pick up an 00 intake and some apn headers for my 96 xj. Iv heard that you have to grind some off the apn headers to get them to fit with an 00 intake. Can any of you shed some light on this and let me know what im looking at?

The APN and the intake manifold may not fit together and seat flush on the head.

Grind off any excess casting flash or bumps on the both sides of the intake runners, like shown in the red circles and white lines. Grinding Aluminum is easier than grinding steel.

standard.jpg

On my 99 all I had to do is sand a little off the bottom of the #6 intake runner. Took about 10 minutes to figure it out and another 10 minutes sanding it with a 36 grit disk on my sander. I will be doing it again on my 91 MJ in a couple weeks when I do an engine swap. Hope that helps.

Good to know that is the exact header, intake combo I was considering.

The grinding mine required was a very small amount. Just a hair off of it to clear the rear tube and get the intake to set square against the head.

i have the apn on my 95 and i will be adding a 00 intake in the near future. i will try to update this thread on any issues (it may be a while though)

Some do, some don't.

It takes a few minutes and causes no harm, just hit it lightly and your done whether you need it or not.

Pictures by Lloyd from his write-up here that I saved to photobucket.

I didn't need to clearance mine this much, but I had to do a little work on them. Same measurements and methods worked fine for me.

I didn't have to do anything to mine. JIM.

I'm in the middle of doing this right now and was wondering about the different spacing for where the intake/exhaust bolts side. The APN header has a thicker mounting plate than the 00 intake.

I had to do a little grinding(2005 intake/APN header) and had to heat and tap in the top of the #5 tube on the header for clearance. Wasn't a big deal though.

Back