• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too much air?

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a point at where you have too much air moving thru the radiator and it does not have enough time to displace heat from the fins? I am wanting to put two fans in front of the rad on my 89. I have converted to open but I want to make sure it's cool. I figure two Junkyard special fans in the front should do the trick. Any suggestions or concerns.

I dont think it can get too much air through it. If its running hot, the first thing I would check is the radiator. It can look good but the tubes may have lost the connection to the tubes. If you can easily "peel" the fins away from the tubes it will not get rid of the heat. The tubes have to be bonded well to the tubes. I worked on a big panel van when I was young. It was overheating when I drove it out on the road. I put in new water pump, hoses, flush, belts and it would overheat under load not at idle. The fins could be pulled right off the core in long crumbling strips. Just my experince. I hate replacing parts so I try my damndest to trouble shoot as good as I can. Good luck

Well it does not currently overheat while driving but if I am idleing thru a trail I want to make sure that it can stay cool. I am one for over kill. I am just wanting too see if there is a point to where I am adding too much air and defeating the purpose.

too much air isnt that bad in regards to cooling except when the engine runs too cold, it wont be operating at its peak efficiency. Search the threads for the common overheating issues but do this in this order:

flush radiator
new radiator cap if running open system
still overheats? Check radiator for corrosion
still overheats? new water pump
still overheats? clogged cat

Back