• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just installed a new fuel tank...Bad News.

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
Well my 95 had a tank leak so I replaced it. But to my surprise I found from the rear seats back is absolutely rotted!! I could see up into the cargo hatch!! I have no welder or bending equipment so I'm wondering If I removed the seat and carpet what would the ballpark range to have this patched?? Shop prices or side job prices welcome.

Buy a panel and rivet it in.

Rather than rivets, I'd opt for self drilling sheet metal screws. Quicker and easier to line up. Get the hex head ones, use a magnetic bit and a cordless drill with a clutch, and it's very easy. I've done simiilar patch jobs this way, using roofing tar as a sealant. It lasts well, and although it's pretty sloppy to do, it sets nicely but stays eleastic. The only caution here is that over the gas tank you must, of course, be sure that the screws aren't too long.

I had to replace 80% of my floors and i would hate to try and do it without welding. Its hard work in itself but to do it without a phlasma (sp) and welder would be a real pain.

You mean those things aren't free for the taking? Hmm...well.... I, uh... know a guy, (cough) that might be able to help me in that area....
Lets say this guy (he's a pretty cool guy might I add) has access to some of those...
Thank you tax payers! (Don't worry I pay them too)

My dad actually got a bunch at the town dump once, after he got caught *ahem* borrowing some he decided he wasn't gonna take it lying down and figured out where they brought all the signs they took down. Turns out they ended up in a pile out behind the dump/department of public works area in his town.

I used an old side to a washer that the previous tenet left. Heavy gauge painted on one side and "FREE".

If you do a lot of this kind of stuff, keep your eyes open for old metal shower stalls. Just the right gauge, flat, and usually well painted. Unlike washing machines, though, they don't use vitreous enamel, so you don't have problems getting it off. Some are galvanized, but some are not. The former are good for screwed-in patches, the latter for welded.

Back