• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ won't go into OD

Badfish_7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks, hopefully you can help out with this.

I have an 01 XJ, my only mods are a Thrush copy of a magnaflow, and a Rusty's K&N Airtube. 146K mi

CEL is on, no backup lights, won't go into OD. When going about 40-50 mph, I can shift to neutral, and shut off the engine and then restart it and this causes the tranny to then go into OD.

I'm throwing code P0705. I have replaced the TPS with a new unit, and also removed, cleaned and reinstalled the NSS. Still has same symptoms mentioned above. Any insight is most appreciated.

From the 01 XJ FSM: "P0705 CHECK SHIFTER SIGNAL (RANGE SENSOR)"
Ok, so no need to have changed the TPS yet, but I suppose a new one can't hurt anything lol.

The Range Sensor they mention is the NSS for earlier years, so you were right to go there, but the problem may be in the wiring too. You say that it will not go into OD and your reverse lamps do not light, these two functions are part of the range sensor's job.

You also mentioned that you cleaned and re-installed the NSS. When you put the NSS back on, are you sure you put it in the right position? Did the reverse lights work before you replaced the NSS, or where they non-functional before? How did you clean the NSS? Was it following a specific write-up, or did you wing it?

According to the FSM here, you should check your tranny fluid first.
Next, pop your bezel off around the shifter and check your wiring, make sure none is burnt or exposed, etc.
After that, make sure you can move the shifter in all positions (1-2, 3, OD, N, P)
The next few steps involve a test light and ohm meter, or a multimeter if you have it.
"Turn the ignition switch to the lock position.
Disconnect the TRS harness connector.
Turn the ignition on.
Using a 12-volt Test Light connected to ground, check the Fused Ignition Switch
Output circuit.
NOTE: The light must illuminate brightly, if it does not light, or lights dimly,
the circuit must be repaired. If there is any doubt, compare the brightness
when testing the circuit, to the brightness when connected directly to the
battery."

Then just run down the list here, the resistance between the following should be 5 ohms.
Reverse Sense Circuit
Overdrive Sense Circuit
3rd gear Sense Circuit
1-2nd gear Sense Circuit:
1. At the TCM and NSS harness connectors (Also check for any voltage)
2. To ground

If you haven't found the problem by now, you either didn't clean the NSS/TRS right, re-assemble, or re-install it right, or it's a lost cause and you need a new one (unlikely)
TCM1.png

TRS1.png

TRS2.png

No backup lights, no OD, and a 705 code is 99% the NSS. Try adjusting it again. If that don't work try cleaning it again and lightly sanding the contacts. Make sure the little springs are not full of junk too.

I just went through this same Issue. My problem ended up
being #1-2 shift Solenoid.
I did the NSS fix and that cured my backup lights but that was it.
The NSS must be properly adjusted, so you need someone to watch your backup lights while you adjust the NSS, then check to make sure it will start in P and N only and lights come on in R only.
If OD is still not working, test your Trans Solenoids, it is very easy to do with a DMM

I just went through this same Issue. My problem ended up
being #1-2 shift Solenoid.
I did the NSS fix and that cured my backup lights but that was it.
The NSS must be properly adjusted, so you need someone to watch your backup lights while you adjust the NSS, then check to make sure it will start in P and N only and lights come on in R only.
If OD is still not working, test your Trans Solenoids, it is very easy to do with a DMM

Yeah I was kind of thinking shift solenoid when he said he can turn it off and back on in OD and it goes into OD, but his reverse lights aren't working either and PO705 is the "NSS" and he's not throwing any other codes, at least he didn't mention any. At any rate we should be able to get his reverse lights going with the NSS and go from there :)

Yeah I was kind of thinking shift solenoid when he said he can turn it off and back on in OD and it goes into OD, but his reverse lights aren't working either and PO705 is the "NSS" and he's not throwing any other codes, at least he didn't mention any. At any rate we should be able to get his reverse lights going with the NSS and go from there :)

For some reason mine was only throwing the 705 code and was still throwing 705 after the NSS fix, very confusing :dunno:
I agree do the NSS fix first and go from there, it is easy and free.
Best thing I did was get a good DMM, actually my wife bought it for me :cool:
Testing with that Meter really was the trick to tracking down the real problem.

i had your exact same issue to a "T". no OD, no reverse lights, code 705. the only way i got it to go away was a new ECU/PCM or whatever you want to call it. i had previously tried everything everyone else already mentioned which included cleaning and adjusting my NSS twice, and trying a junkyard one, and none of it worked. i dont remember the code 700 though, just 705. i picked up my PCM/ECU on ebay for 25 bucks.

just FYI i also did the neutral restart trick, it definatly got annoying, and anyone who drove with me got scared

Hi,

I had very similar problem few years ago with my XJ (2001)
THe solution was tighting the connection of the ECU.
Bad connection cause that problem.
Hope that would be the solution in your case,
Saar.

Hi,

I had very similar problem few years ago with my XJ (2001)
THe solution was tighting the connection of the ECU.
Bad connection cause that problem.
Hope that would be the solution in your case,
Saar.

Thanks everyone! Sorry so long to post, been a trainwreck of business here.

Regarding no backup lights. I can loosen the recently cleaned NSS and move it back and forth the full range it will move and still no B/U lights at any position. Since doing that now I cannot start in Neutral. I left the NSS at the position where the vertical line on the housing is even with the bolt when in N.

Arkansas, I am trying all of your suggestions today. I don't know if I had B/U lights before I cleaned the NSS. I used an online tutorial. I took it apart, used CRC electrical parts cleaner, then sanded all the contacts with a piece of a fingernail file, then greased it with vaseline and put it back together.

Can anyone tell me where the trans solenoids are in case I need to change/clean one?

To change solenoids you need to drop the tranny pan. It shouldn't be that hard - there should be a writeup around here somewhere.

Back