• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starter going or ignition issue?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
ive noticed these past few days its taking alittle bit to crank her over- i mean it cranks with the first key turn but it seems like it turnes over alittle longer than normal. sounds hesistant.. (almost like when in black sheep where chris farleys car die, how that starter sounded before it stopped turning over).

it has 124k on it, its a 1995. i just had to have the ignition switch on the column replaced as well as the key cylinder, etc.. i did a tune up on her back in the summer/spring with an OEM cap, rotor, and mopar performance wires and champion truck plugs. i think they have 12k on them? im just wondering where i should start looking- i also replaced the TPS and have cleaned the throttle body in the past couple months. just seems like a labored start- like it usually fires right up, now it kind of drags itself out till it kicks over..

thanks for the help

i suppose i could check those... the one on the firewall should be fine.. cables on the battery i could check. what about the connection to the alternator? should i check that as well?

Start at the battery and cables.

Starter is grounded through its body to the engine.

My starter just died last week..It would do like 1-3 long slow cranks and then the engine would fire up..But the other half the time it would crank normally..This only lasted 5 days until it died..

Always "freshen" battery connections when symptomatic. Visual inspection isn't good enough. Remove battery cables, clean the cables and the posts thoroughly until shiny and then reattach. Connections are often overlooked and the unseen resistance path can create lots of electrical gremlins.

If connections aren't your problem, then load test your battery and verify that your alternator is working properly.

Simple stuff first.....

I'd also like to add I just had my ignition switch replaced as I busted the original one. So I'm kind of ruling that out. I plan on cleaning the battery terminals and any grounds I feel like messing with. I also want to simple green the engine bay- I usually do after I wheel and I didn't this time so... We shall see. Keep the suggestions on what it could be coming.. Thanks

the starter motor pulls current directly from the battery when the solenoid engages, so its one of these things: (a) corroded terminals on battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor, (b) bad power wire from battery to solenoid, or from solenoid to starter motor (c) bad ground where starter motor attaches to vehicles, (d) finally the starter motor could be wearing out (brushes, corrosion in the motor, etc)

replace the battery terminals if they look funky at all, it's cheap and might fix the problem, and will help the jeep run better anyways

Agree with cleaning terminals, etc. as first thing. Does it start up better just after you stop it or a few minutes after? When my battery was on it's last legs, it would start good for a while after I turned it off, but if it sat a few days, it would crank more slowly. A few weeks later, if it sat overnight it would crank more slowly. Finally broke down and bought a new battery. Always cranks like crazy now!

Try turning the ignition On for a few seconds before cranking it. Maybe your fuel pump check valve is letting fuel drain back out. Putting the ignition On will engage the fuel pump and prime it.

the starter motor pulls current directly from the battery when the solenoid engages, so its one of these things: (a) corroded terminals on battery, starter solenoid, or starter motor, (b) bad power wire from battery to solenoid, or from solenoid to starter motor (c) bad ground where starter motor attaches to vehicles, (d) finally the starter motor could be wearing out (brushes, corrosion in the motor, etc)

replace the battery terminals if they look funky at all, it's cheap and might fix the problem, and will help the jeep run better anyways

Or a bad battery.

It was the starter gents... Died last night at my work, had to get out in the rain and shit at 330am to bang on the starter in hopes that she cranked. Bought a duralast reman starter with a lifetime warranty and she starts like a charm. Battery was replaced this time last year..

Back